Topics

polarity reversing & block occupancy detector

Bob Macionis

I have lower quadrant semaphores controlled by tortoise machines.  I want the blades to move automatically when the block protected by the semaphores is occupied/unoccupied.   Is there an occupancy detector that reverses polarity of its output that would cause the tortoises to throw? Or maybe there is another way to auto throw the tortoises when a train enters/leaves the block?  Thanks for your advice.
Bob Macionis

Carl

Hi Bob:

You could use the output to run a DPDT relay.

Carl.

On 6/28/2020 1:38 PM, Bob Macionis wrote:
I have lower quadrant semaphores controlled by tortoise machines.  I want the blades to move automatically when the block protected by the semaphores is occupied/unoccupied.   Is there an occupancy detector that reverses polarity of its output that would cause the tortoises to throw? Or maybe there is another way to auto throw the tortoises when a train enters/leaves the block?  Thanks for your advice.
Bob Macionis

Bob Macionis

Thanks Carl/.  I’m not very knowledgeable about relays, but it seems to be a good answer.  Any particular characteristics of the relay I should look for?   My BD 20 block detectors have an output for a relay.

Bob

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

You could use the output to run a DPDT relay.

Carl.

On 6/28/2020 1:38 PM, Bob Macionis wrote:

I have lower quadrant semaphores controlled by tortoise machines.  I want the blades to move automatically when the block protected by the semaphores is occupied/unoccupied.   Is there an occupancy detector that reverses polarity of its output that would cause the tortoises to throw? Or maybe there is another way to auto throw the tortoises when a train enters/leaves the block?  Thanks for your advice.
Bob Macionis

Carl

Hi Bob:

I used relays like these in my turnout motors:

https://www.allelectronics.com/item/rly-587/5vdc-dpdt-2a-mini-relay/1.html

They have been working fine for 20 years.

Carl.

On 6/28/2020 5:05 PM, Bob Macionis wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Carl.  Very Helpful!!  One dollar each is cheap!