Peco Unifrog #6 HO Turnouts Now Available - A Wiring for DCC Website Update

wirefordcc

The Peco Unifrog is now available as a code 83 HO #6 turnout!  I received four of them yesterday.

The part numbers are:
RH #6:  SL-U8361
LH #6:   SL-U8362

The points and closure rails are one continuous piece.  No hinges!

I have updated my website at:  http://www.WiringForDCC.com/switches_peco.htm#a7

Allan Gartner
Wiring for DCC

Keith Elrod

Thanks for the numbers. No hinge ... what a great improvement!  It will be a while before I order T/O's again, but these definitely go to the top of the list.

On Sun, Nov 1, 2020 at 11:13 AM wirefordcc <bigboy@...> wrote:
The Peco Unifrog is now available as a code 83 HO #6 turnout!  I received four of them yesterday.

The part numbers are:
RH #6:  SL-U8361
LH #6:   SL-U8362

The points and closure rails are one continuous piece.  No hinges!

I have updated my website at:  http://www.WiringForDCC.com/switches_peco.htm#a7

Allan Gartner
Wiring for DCC

Jim Betz

Allan,
  The great part about this is simply the availability of -anything- else in a
Unifrog.  Peco first announced they would convert their entire line to
these a long time ago ... but until now we have only seen one turnout
that was Unifrog and that was the double slip.  I have at least a dozen
more Peco Code 83 #6 turnouts to install and will probably replace
them with the new Unifrogs.  Have you had a chance to do any actual
run testing with your 4?
  I know, I know - it's a Peco so it will run flawlessly ... !
                                                                                                 - Jim

wirefordcc

Hi Jim,

I found out about the new Unifrogs about a week after I had just laid some track.  So they missed a golden opportunity to be installed at that point.  But like you said, it's a Peco and I have high expectations for it.

I especially like that it doesn't have any hinges.  One concern that people have with hinge-less turnouts is if they are too stiff.  So I wondered if it had a spring like Peco's normally do.  The Unifrog does still have the spring.  While unscientific, I flipped it with my finger and it seems to about what I expect for a Peco.

It has been two years since I first saw a Unifrog.  I had heard that Peco was phasing out the Insulfrogs and Electrofrogs as tooling wore out.  Who knows when they will come out with others.

One thing I had heard about from those that use Insulfrogs is that sometimes the wheels shorted out at the frog.  Since I use Electrofrogs, I have not experienced this occasional problem.  But I did look at the point on the Unifrog where the closure rails come to the frog.  It at least looks good to me.  I don't think Peco users will have that problem with these.

Allan

Richard Schwind

Hi! I am trying to wire a crossover from main 1 to main 2 ,main 1 is opposite polarity of main 2. I am using peco electo frog switches# 8’s. Every board I try for flipping frogs polarity does not work it always shorts out! Any ideas?