From: w4dccqa@groups.io <w4dccqa@groups.io> on behalf of Rick Beatty <rb10de@...>
Sent: Saturday, February 29, 2020 9:08 AM
To: w4dccqa@groups.io <w4dccqa@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [w4dccqa] Peco Unifrog

Since posting my question I found a timeline at the DCCWiki site.  Rollout continues to be slow.

When I built my railroad over 20 years ago I primarily used Peco HO code 100 electrofrog turnouts, making them DCC friendly and powering the frogs.  I am now going to finish some areas that were passed over including laying the track for the steel mill.  I have to make a decision on what to use.

This area won't be as accessible for wiring as the mainline and I was thinking of using insulfrog or unifrog turnouts.  If I decide on the unifrog I need to wait until they are available and if I decide on the insulfrog (or electrofrog) I need to get them while they are still available.  I do have a mining area where I installed some Atlas customline turnouts and I intend to run the switchers there to see how they behave since I have no Peco insulfrog turnouts to experiment with.

Can anyone give me feedback on the operating differences of the Atlas and Peco DCC ready turnouts?

Rick Beatty

What would I try ebay for?

Mike Hoggard

I did not know that Peco were going to produce a Unifrog turnout and I am not sure what it will do. I.m guessing that it will be a turnout that makes both legs live. You can do this very simply by using a small spring that Hornby make. One in each exit leg of the turnout overrides the isolating character of the standard Peco or Hornby turnout so that both legs are live. It,s easy and you can change your mind without lifting the turnout. .The part number is R8232 DCC Electro point clips. Pack of 20. They cost £7.20 a pack which is outrages but i suppose that 72 pence a point is not too bad.

Did you try Ebay?

[...]

wirefordcc

I have written up the Peco Unifrog on my website at:

http://www.wiringfordcc.com/switches_peco.htm#a7

It appears that the Unifrog will replace the Insulfrog and Electrofrog turnouts.

Allan Gartner
Wiring for DCC

PennsyNut <pennsynut@...>

Allen. I just looked at your link. Great. Very nicely done. The problem I see is that people are waiting for PECO to send Unifrogs to the U.S. and that the wait is taking a very long time. And if they start with Only code 100, those of us with code 83 will be waiting longer. (and what about the frog number? #6 first? #5 most popular) And Rick, who started this thread, is only one of many. PECO seems to be a little vague about when they will be supplying all this, so we can only wait and see! My only comment is that I used Insulfrogs and did not fasten them down - did no wiring - and just finger throw/or rod throw. No electrical connections at all. And they work fine. But when using machines or lights or frog feed, you should use electrofrog. But I was too lazy to wire or fuss with the turnouts. This is not to say my way is best. It's just that I practice the K.I.S.S. principal. And when the Unifrogs get here, I suspect they will be even better. And thanks to Allen for this fantastic thread that is a boon to DCC.
Morgan Bilbo, new to DCC