Topics

PECO Switch Machines

jmscnw <jmscnw@...>

Does anyone use HO PECO switch machines mounted beneath their layout ?
They appear quite user friendly for a first time layout .
I would like any pro's or con's .

JIM

jchurc2004 <jcebay@...>

hi Jim
I have them installed both above in the fiddle yard and below in
the scenic area. You will need to decide whether you are going to
attach them directly to the point in which case you need a realitively
large hole in the base board or mount them on a fixing plate using the
extended pin variety PL10E in which case you need only drill a 3/8
hole. They are a little noisy in comparison to a tortoise but effective.

Regards
John

--- In WiringForDCC@..., "jmscnw" <jmscnw@w...> wrote:

Does anyone use HO PECO switch machines mounted beneath their layout ?
They appear quite user friendly for a first time layout .
I would like any pro's or con's .

JIM

jmscnw <jmscnw@...>

Thanks John.

I will use the PL10E version. Can ALL the switch machines on a
layout be powered together OR does each machine need its own
power supply ?

Jim

hi Jim
I have them installed both above in the fiddle yard and
below in
the scenic area. You will need to decide whether you are going to
attach them directly to the point in which case you need a
realitively
large hole in the base board or mount them on a fixing plate using
the
extended pin variety PL10E in which case you need only drill a 3/8
hole. They are a little noisy in comparison to a tortoise but
effective.

Regards
John

jchurc2004 <jcebay@...>

Hi Jim
All mine are switched by stationary decoders...well most of them,
I haven't quite finished yet!. The peco point motor is a twin coil
device requiring only momentary power to throw the point. If you use
a common wire from each of the two coils and place a momentary or
push button switch in the other two lines then there is no reason why
you cannot use a power bus to power them all. If you are going for
the PL10E just be aware that there is a maximum baseboard thickness
for which these are suitable and you do have to make sure your 3/8
hole is in the right place. Something else to bear in mind is if you
are going for power routing its a good idea to do this installation
at the same time as you can use a peco switch that mounts directly on
top of the twin coil unit.......Hope this helps ....John

[...]

I'm glad a single power bus can be used for all motors.
Would a DCC type power supply ( MF615 ) handle all motors ?
I do plan on installing the switch machine at the same time
the turnout is installed.

[...]

I am not sure what that unit is but I am using a lenz
transformer which supplies 16v ac at 3amp. Bear in mind you will not
be switching them all at once and the transformer I am using powers
other things as well