Topics

Peco SL-E199

Nick Ostrosky

Does anyone have any experience with this particular turnout (Code 75 Staggered 3-Way Turnout w/Electrofrog)?  I have three to install and just want to make sure I address any peculiar wiring issues before I set them in place.  Thanks!

Dale Gloer

I have several of them installed on my layout, been there for about 12 years, so I don't remember the exact details of what I did.  But in general, I added the jumpers (Peco has left the tie strip plastic off in the appropriate places) between the stock rails and the point rails, I removed the little jumpers that connect the frogs to the point rails and powered the frogs through contacts on the two Tortoise switch machines that throw the points.  I also added jumpers around all the point hinges for additional reliability (this part is tricky so you may want to skip this).

Peco has provided wires on the frogs so powering the frogs is straight forward.

I suggest that you read the Inofrmation 2-17 section of the website on what makes a turnout DCC Friendly at
http://www.wiringfordcc.com/switches.htm
Then read Suggestion 2-12b in this section (diagram and photos).
http://www.wiringfordcc.com/switches_peco.htm
It is for a standard Peco Electrofrog turnout but the informatiion also applies to the Assymetric 3 way that you are using.  Just hink of it as 2 standard turnouts overlaid on each other.

I don't have a loose turnout to examine or take pictures off and I cannot remove any of the installed ones so I hope this helps you.

Dale Gloer

Dale Gloer

A further bit of information.  I looked at how I wired the frogs to the Tortoises.  There are three frogs in the turnout.  Looking at the turnout from the facing point end, I connected the wires from the first two frogs nearest the end (these two frogs are immediately adjacent to each other) to the Tortoise that moves the first throw bar and the third frog to the Tortoise that moves the second throw bar.  I fed power to the contact set I used for power routing the frogs on both Tortoises from the main track bus.

Dale Gloer

PS.  Google images for PECO SL E199 and you will find some pictures that may help.

john