Topics

PECO Code 100 24 Degree Crossing: Shorting Issue

Daniel Brewer

I installed the Peco Code 100 crossing in an industrial area of my railroad. I've run 5 different brands of new locos through it, and they all short out. I have tested the wiring before, after, and inside the crossing and each rail reads the same on my VOM; ~15 volts. (NCE Command Station, 12Ga wire to all power district NCE Circuit breakers, 14Ga bus, 22Ga feeders, all feeders are correctly wired)

It has been suggested that a Dual Frog Juicer from Tam Valley will cure this shorting issue automatically.

Peco suggested front panel switches to power the route I want to power (jenky).

Does anyone have a solution to this that would be automatic upon a train's entry into the crossing?

I've even thought of ripping it out and replacing it with two turnouts...ugh

Thanks in advance!

Dan

Jennifer Lobo

I had the same issue. I believe I set OP switch 18 to C (closed) on my DCS51 to extend the short recognition time. It seems to have done the trick. BTW if you reset the DCS51 or command station back to factory defaults OP switch 39 to C you will have to do this again etc.

Geoff Clarke

On Monday, November 11, 2019, 07:25:58 p.m. EST, Daniel Brewer <drbnd@...> wrote:

I installed the Peco Code 100 crossing in an industrial area of my railroad. I've run 5 different brands of new locos through it, and they all short out. I have tested the wiring before, after, and inside the crossing and each rail reads the same on my VOM; ~15 volts. (NCE Command Station, 12Ga wire to all power district NCE Circuit breakers, 14Ga bus, 22Ga feeders, all feeders are correctly wired)

It has been suggested that a Dual Frog Juicer from Tam Valley will cure this shorting issue automatically.

Peco suggested front panel switches to power the route I want to power (jenky).

Does anyone have a solution to this that would be automatic upon a train's entry into the crossing?

I've even thought of ripping it out and replacing it with two turnouts...ugh

Thanks in advance!

Dan

Chuck Hart

Hi Dan, I use the TAM Valley dual frog juicer on my PECO crossing. Works like a champ. They have great products. I have many various juicers installed under my layout. See you Saturday.
Regards, Chuck

Brian Eiland

I had a whole bunch of these crossings from Peco, and discovered a manufacturing defect in them that readily allowed them to short out when using wheels of bit to wide. It occurred on about half of my inventory.

I wrote about it and provided some photos,...BUT I can seem to find that forum posting at this time. I believe it was over here on MRH

Brian Lewis

How can this possibly be a manufacturing fault? If your wheels are out of gauge, then what else can you expect?  I suggest you invest in an accurate back to back gauge.

(And has this anything to doing with wiring for DCC)?

On 18/11/2019 14:43, Brian Eiland wrote:
I had a whole bunch of these crossings from Peco, and discovered a manufacturing defect in them that readily allowed them to short out when using wheels of bit to wide. It occurred on about half of my inventory.

I wrote about it and provided some photos,...BUT I can seem to find that forum posting at this time. I believe it was over here on MRH

_._,_._,_
--

Regards and thanks

Brian Lewis

Jennifer Lobo

Extending the short circuit time on my DCS51 still solved MY problem. OP switch 18 to C.

Geoff Clarke

On Monday, November 18, 2019, 09:43:38 a.m. EST, Brian Eiland <railandsail@...> wrote:

I had a whole bunch of these crossings from Peco, and discovered a manufacturing defect in them that readily allowed them to short out when using wheels of bit to wide. It occurred on about half of my inventory.

I wrote about it and provided some photos,...BUT I can seem to find that forum posting at this time. I believe it was over here on MRH

Daniel Brewer

Take the time to review my original post, Brian...They are all new locos and they are in gauge. My NMRA Guage works quite well. Also, PECO acknowledged the problem.

dan

Jennifer Lobo

Hi Dan: I only have one loco that causes a short when running over the Peco crossing. As I stated earlier I used OP SW 18 set to C to solve my problem...on a DCS51.

Geoff Clarke

On Monday, November 18, 2019, 02:39:00 p.m. EST, Daniel Brewer <drbnd@...> wrote:

Take the time to review my original post, Brian...They are all new locos and they are in gauge. My NMRA Guage works quite well. Also, PECO acknowledged the problem.

dan

Brian Eiland

OK found that posting here,..

Yesterday I discovered a problem with some of my NEW Peco crossings. Four of my new Pecos had problems,...2 had plastic joiners in a few of the tracks had 'dips' in them, and 2 of them had little tip projections into the flangeway.

These were discovered when I experimenting with running a model 6 axle tender over them. Granted the flanges on these wheels were ever so larger than standards these days, but it was just enough to cause them to bump way up in the air as they encountered these blips in the flangeways. And I double rechecked the gauge on these wheel sets, and they were right on.

Brian Eiland

Yesterday I discovered a problem with some of my NEW Peco crossovers. Four of my new Pecos had problems,...2 had plastic joiners in a few of the tracks had 'dips' in them, and 2 of them had little tip projections into the flangeway.