Topics

PECO 3-way switch

J D Parr

Years ago I purchased a PECO 3-way switch (turnout). The original packaging probably a description and wiring diagram but that is long gone. I have no idea if it is an electrofrog or an insulfrog. How can I tell the difference so I can wire it the correct way?

JD

Bruce McDonald <bigmacduck53@...>

The PECO electro frog paint has a metal frog whilst insulators are plastic. Easy way to tell is EF the s silver in colour matching the rails at the “ V” junction whilst the IF is dark brown .
Be aware if EF, you will need to use insulated rail joiners on the adjoining 2 closest rails after the track separates @ the point.

On 5 Jun 2020, at 1:52 pm, J D Parr <jdpandhdp@...> wrote:

Years ago I purchased a PECO 3-way switch (turnout). The original packaging probably a description and wiring diagram but that is long gone. I have no idea if it is an electrofrog or an insulfrog. How can I tell the difference so I can wire it the correct way?

JD

Bruce McDonald <bigmacduck53@...>

Forgot to mention but PECO have online data sheets covering their products for easy reference .
Bruce

On 5 Jun 2020, at 2:10 pm, Bruce McDonald via groups.io <bigmacduck53@...> wrote:

The PECO electro frog paint has a metal frog whilst insulators are plastic. Easy way to tell is EF the s silver in colour matching the rails at the “ V” junction whilst the IF is dark brown .
Be aware if EF, you will need to use insulated rail joiners on the adjoining 2 closest rails after the track separates @ the point.

On 5 Jun 2020, at 1:52 pm, J D Parr <jdpandhdp@...> wrote:

Years ago I purchased a PECO 3-way switch (turnout). The original packaging probably a description and wiring diagram but that is long gone. I have no idea if it is an electrofrog or an insulfrog. How can I tell the difference so I can wire it the correct way?

JD

wirefordcc

Hi JD,

I have pictures of the frogs for Peco electrofrog and insulfrog code 100 turnouts at:

http://www.wiringfordcc.com/switches_peco.htm#a8

In January I take over writing the DCC Corner column in Model Railroader.  Can I use your question?  If so, please provide your city at state.

Thank you!

Allan Gartner
Wiring For DCC

J D Parr

Thanks for the information, Bruce.
Jerry

On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 10:10 PM Bruce McDonald <bigmacduck53@...> wrote:
The PECO electro frog paint has a metal frog whilst insulators are plastic. Easy way to tell is EF the s silver in colour matching the rails at the “ V” junction whilst the IF is dark brown .
Be aware if EF, you will need to use insulated rail joiners on the adjoining 2 closest rails after the track separates @ the point.

On 5 Jun 2020, at 1:52 pm, J D Parr <jdpandhdp@...> wrote:

Years ago I purchased a PECO 3-way switch (turnout). The original packaging probably a description and wiring diagram but that is long gone. I have no idea if it is an electrofrog or an insulfrog. How can I tell the difference so I can wire it the correct way?

JD

J D Parr

Hi Allan,
I have looked at your site many times. It appears as though my 3-way is an insulfrog. Thanks for all of your DCC information. It's where I go when I need answers.
Yes, you may use my question. I live in Littleton, CO 80125

Jerry Parr

Bruce McDonald <bigmacduck53@...>

Happy to help where I can.
Once in place , the Insulfrog frogs can be painted to match the rails. This applies to all PECO check rails which are a brown coloured plastic.
Bruce

On 6 Jun 2020, at 1:57 am, J D Parr <jdpandhdp@...> wrote:

Hi Allan,
I have looked at your site many times. It appears as though my 3-way is an insulfrog. Thanks for all of your DCC information. It's where I go when I need answers.
Yes, you may use my question. I live in Littleton, CO 80125

Jerry Parr

Daniel Thomson

Please be scale and code specific. HO code 100 may be the -99 Insulfrog or -E99 Electrofrog. HO code 70 is only the -E199 Electrofrog. N scale code 55 is only the -E399 Electrofrog. The electrofrogs all come with a pair of frog leads as there are two isolated frogs to power. One for each throwbar.