Topics

Not planning on a Reversing Triangle on my next Layout.

Mark Cartwright

Scroll down to the Application 2 Example.
https://dccwiki.com/Reverse_Sections

I installed such a Wye with an Auto Reverser on my last modular layout with sections of Kato Unitrack, so it was easily segmented with appropriate (or so I thought) insulated gaps.
The purpose of the WYE was not to simply turn around but to travel down a slope to a Round Table and Roundhouse.
Then upon a locomotives exit could travel in either direction to the main lines of my layout.
In keeping with our Jeopardy Theme here of asking question for answers...
WYE did it work ...and then Didn't ?
====
It worked for my many diesels but for nearly none of my steam locomotives.
:)) Mark

Don Vollrath

Typical reasons an auto-reverser does not work or stops working is that there is that
a) One of the gaps closes due to rail movement;
b) There is a poor electrical connection to rails on one or both sides of the gaps so that a 'good' short circuit current pulse is not created, as is needed to cause the AR unit to trip. The AR unit needs to be fed directly from the main DCC distribution bus, not from rail attachments adjacent to the gaps.;
c) The AR unit needs a larger pulse of current to trigger than can be delivered by the booster;
d) The AR section and mainline tracks are powered from different booster districts [requires a good booster common connection]
e) The AR unit is powered from the load side of an electronic circuit breaker that trips first [re-read b) ]
f) One attempts to use a Frog-Juicer or inferior AR unit that does not flip the polarity of both rails when only one side sees the current pulse.
g) There is a poor electrical connection of pickup bonding wires between loco wheels that limits the magnitude of short circuit current pulse need to trip the AR unit. The booster may trip first on a timed overload. [similar to b) and c) ]

DonV

Carl

Hi Gang:

On Jim's layout we have DPDT push - push buttons and Red / Green LEDs at the ends of the reversing blocks. If the polarity is wrong, the LED is Red and you push the DPDT button and the LED goes Green. We also have AR units in the circuit, but I find it easier not to depend on them alone.

Carl.

Mark Cartwright

Thank you for both of your replies...
Now combine them....
I have a very long reply which is in the Drafts...
To save you all the tedious time of reading it...
Here is the Gist:

You need to get the whole locomotive through the Switch Turnout BEFORE It encounters yet another aspect of Connectivity...or even physics.

So the front pilot can not derail through the turnout and the drivers should remain rigid as one or it confused at the frog.
Further...The tender wheels need to clear the turnout before the pilot wheels encounter the next conductivity.
How do you do that in a WYE ?
Good Luck with that...!
Cause for now...No WYE's
Only Three #12 Turnouts.
Once I can circumnavigate my House and 25x30 foot layout....
Will I pick up the Gambit of Auto-Reversers ?
Not until I install LokSound Decoders with Sound into several of my Steam Locomotives.
Each of those will require 12 or so hours of labor and concentration.
======
Got Oak Tress and Rolling Hills ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZocpwWLsyE

It's all about the money Boys !
After purchasing several defunct layouts which never came to be....
I began to create my own Oak Trees and Rolling Hills which depict California.
NOT Mississippi.
Thank you for the conversational hiatus.
I refuse to be a Man of Constant Sorrow.
:)) Mark

It's not really about the money nor the constant collecting of this stuff (which may nor may not work).
It's about completing an Operational Layout with Trees in your life time.
I am feeling a bit guilty for buying so much of this stuff from Widows; as another of my few friends from High School may not survive the week.

Joseph A. Correro, Jr.

What is your inference "Not in Mississippi" mean?
A bit racist aren't you?

Jody

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away!"

On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 1:10 PM Mark Cartwright via Groups.Io <marcdecapri=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Dave Swinford

It’s a movie reference for the old folk song Man of Constant Sorrow.
Dave