Topics

New to DCC

Jeff Nielsen

I’m new to DCC and need all the help I can get....

Thanks!

Paul O

OK Jeff, start asking.

Mark Cartwright

Jeff,
For many of us it's a combination of Musical Chairs and a Journey into the unknown.
Which exact DCC Controller along with it's various components (Mostly Decoder - Sound and Non Sound) you will land on ?
May depend on when the music stops....as in what your local train store pushes on you.
Or which Bible on DCC is being read at your local Model Railroading Society/Club.
====
In my Journey, With purchasing only second-hand units via Wannabe and Discontinued Layouts; I have purchased nearly a dozen different DCC Controllers and well over one hundred Decoders via many various locomotives in N and HO Scales. (These purchases often near 10 cents to the MSRP $ reflected the many Train Store Shelves of Northern California.)
Oops!
I went off on tangents Testing various Decoders with different DCC Controllers and even began a Notebook. I nearly lost it, as I was considered creating an Encyclopedia on just the Interactions of DCC.
Double Oops!
=====
I eventually Forest Gumped my way in the ownership of an ESU ECoS, for which; I am very pleased.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApxjEciFr40
=====
Before the ECoS Discovery and then some even after that moment in time of Epiphany ! -
I was nearly a prisoner to my own layout....and had lost sight on why I chose to create a layout in the first place.
For it comes down to Scenery...
When will  I ever set my first Tree ? and seriously begin to enjoy just watching my trains !!!!
(The phase just after making your track operational.)
So much more to learn...I told myself.
Can't I just learn to program, have the program hold and be done with DCC?
Good Luck with a that ! at least not on a Paragon Decoder...
Result? Good Bye Paragon Decoders.
I even questioned the amperage and volts being sent to my track.
I spent far too much time on DCC ...
Just one example....
My First DCC Controller though very simple to program and operate only has a range of say 20 feet and won't catch a signal, through the Long Bearing Wall which goes down the center of my basement....I fought it's limitations for too long...
Dis -Track -Ting me from my original intentions.
Then I discovered Long Steam Locomotives which have their own set of parameters and needs...
More wasted time, as I was trying to get them to operate on curves of 19" or less in radius and over #6 Switches.
Then it was on to switches...and how do I get the front pilot and the rear wheels of the tender to all align in DCC +/- as I go over Turnouts.
Simple...
Make them longer; along actual ARA specifications and solder near on everything with it's own drop down leads.
I am not trying to dissuade you, in fact on the contrary....
Just tell us your overall dimensions of your intended layout, location (Corner of Den, Family Room, Attic, Basement but just say No to a Garage Location in the Central Valley of California - Dust), scale, type of locomotive, length of train, and whither you ever intend to include sound on your layout.
We can then begin this discussion again; which might resemble a Religious/Political Argument.
:)) Mark

PS and note this well...
A Clean Well Lighted Place....
I strongly suggest a location for your layout which is basically clean and can be kept that way.
DCC abhors dirty track (especially sound); and you might want to rethink even the % of your grades along with the use of Traction Tires.

Glenn

Jeff,

Like Mark, I bounced around DCC.

My first purchase was a box of an antique MRC Command 2000 stuff. I like it still, unfortunately it was not compatible with modern-er decoders.

Then I acquired a Bachmann EZ Command system which I still use at the workbench.

I do a lot of decoder installs for friends and eventually purchased a used NCE power cab (tethered), as you can do more with that system than the others.

I recently purchased a Ring Engineering RailPro system. It is basically radio control. It makes it easy to visit other layouts since I do not need to reprogram decoders.

My recommendation is try to operate AND program, set CV's, etc, on several systems/layouts. Also read the manuals. Some are so vague. I read one that seemed to think you are a expert on DCC. On one system I tried, programming was done in sequential steps, but you could only do one step at a time and stop, you could not make more than one change at a time. The manual did not mention that.

See what is in stock in your area. It's frustrating when you need a part for brand ABC, and your LHS does not stock that brand. But if you really like one system go with that one.

Glenn

Mark Gurries

I have a series of DCC presentations that I have given around the country over the years at NMRA events.  There are 4 clinics at the bottom.  Basic DCC info, Wiring, Decoder Wiring and Decoder Programming.

On Jan 13, 2019, at 9:17 AM, Jeff Nielsen <jln319@...> wrote:

I’m new to DCC and need all the help I can get....

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Mark Gurries
Electrical Engineer

Jeff Nielsen

Thanks for all the great advice and information. I run G scale and my layout will be outside. I don't have it built yet as I moved a few years ago and everything is still in boxes. I'm ready to get it going again and have always wanted to try DCC. My layout will be pretty simple. Probably 10' X 20' with one main line and one or two sidings/branch runs but will expand it later. I'd like to run 2 or 3 trains for now. I haven't decided on DCC equipment yet. I've read about a lot of them. Massoth looks interesting to me but seems pricey. Since I'm still in the planning stages I thought this would be a good time to start exploring DCC but I'm finding there is a lot to learn. Thanks again for the advice and info. I will be looking at the presentations and continue researching but I have a feeling I will need to just jump in at some point...

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 10:59 AM Mark Gurries <gurriesm@...> wrote:
I have a series of DCC presentations that I have given around the country over the years at NMRA events.  There are 4 clinics at the bottom.  Basic DCC info, Wiring, Decoder Wiring and Decoder Programming.

On Jan 13, 2019, at 9:17 AM, Jeff Nielsen <jln319@...> wrote:

I’m new to DCC and need all the help I can get....

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Mark Gurries
Electrical Engineer

wirefordcc

Jeff,

Check out my website, WiringForDCC.com, and look for the section on DCC in the Garden.  http://www.wiringfordcc.com/garden.htm

Allan Gartner

Wiring For DCC

[...]

I am going out on a tree limb, and Mark is at the trunk with a saw.

Since you are at ground level you might consider using radio control with battery power.

Check out:
AirWire 900 from CVP http://www.cvpusa.com/airwire_system.php  << they have been in business since 1974

There is also the Dead Rail Society  https://www.deadrailsociety.com/  << Very informative.

Glenn

[...]

Thanks. I hadn’t considered it. I will take a look.

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 16:27 Glenn <ghazel@...> wrote:
[...]

Greg Elmassian

DCC works great outdoors too, very happy with it, and saved a lot of money over battery. www.elmassian.com

whmvd

Hi Jeff,

Massoth has had good reviews here and there. For me, the deal breaker was that it is not a system that is supported by JMRI. If you plan to add a computer in the mix, cutting off that avenue before you even start seems a pity. Although JMRI is much used for train control, it is even more widely present (and as far as I know unparallelled) for decoder programming.

Most important of all: have fun!
Wouter

On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 at 22:07, wirefordcc <bigboy@...> wrote:

[...]

PennsyNut

Tis funny. I started model railroading in 1958 or thereabouts. Joined a club. DC only. Had built a 4' x 6' layout - a loop with a switchback siding. Played a bit. Since I was familiar with PRR, that became my rr or choice. Then, I got drafted and disassembled the layout. Never did get back to building one, the club was sufficient for me.
Here I am, now 80 yrs old. Put priority to my bucket list to build a layout. A few years ago, while I was still working, etc. Bought a Digitrax Zephyr and started a collection of BLI engines. All DCC. Now, here I am: Got the shelf brackets up. Got the 2" thick pink foam, cut to 12" width. Have shelf 24' long by that 12" depth. Used AnyRail to design several layouts from which to choose. But let me say this: Learning model rr is a very long way from 1958. And DCC has a learning curve that is almost ridiculous. The NMRA had standards and RP's. But all the systems don't match. MTH has DCS. And other Proprietary stuff. Makes you kind of wonder. Remember Mantua couplers? Well I started with them and had to change to Kadee's. Why? Because that's what one did for a club, etc. Now, if you start with a simple DCC system like Digitrax, you get sidetracked by all the other choices. And if battery power gets going, what do we do with all our DCC? Ouch. Get ready to re-mortgage your house. All IMHO and thanks for letting me vent. But we can be newbies even if 80 yrs old.
Morgan Bilbo, new to DCC, modeling PRR 1952.