Topics

New file uploaded to w4dccqa@groups.io

w4dccqa@groups.io Notification <w4dccqa+notification@...>

Hello,

This email message is a notification to let you know that a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the w4dccqa@groups.io group.

File: RR Diagram.pdf

Uploaded By: rhemker

Looking for help in deciding where to place my blocks and do I need to use insulated joiners or is it OK to cut the track and use .010" styrene in the gaps?

You can access this file at the URL:
https://groups.io/g/w4dccqa/files/RR%20Diagram.pdf

Cheers,
The Groups.io Team

Bill Wilken

I usually use a razor saw to cut a thin gap in a section of very well glued down section of flextrack.  You may not see any need to fill the gap with plastic.  Insulated joiners typically result in a large gap and, if needed on a curve, can make it tricky to maintain the prevailing radius with a high degree of accuracy

On Mar 3, 2019, at 3:35 PM, w4dccqa@groups.io Notification <w4dccqa+notification@groups.io> wrote:

Hello,

This email message is a notification to let you know that a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the w4dccqa@groups.io group.

File: RR Diagram.pdf

Uploaded By: rhemker

Looking for help in deciding where to place my blocks and do I need to use insulated joiners or is it OK to cut the track and use .010" styrene in the gaps?

You can access this file at the URL:
https://groups.io/g/w4dccqa/files/RR%20Diagram.pdf

Cheers,
The Groups.io Team

Dennis Cherry

Trying not to put insulated gaps on curves. and try to minimize rail joints on curves. if you need to add rail joints on curves first connect them as two straight sections then make the curve.
Look at some YouTube videos on connecting track will help you understand the process.

Dennis Cherry

Trying not to put insulated gaps on curves. and try to minimize rail joints on curves. if you need to add rail joints on curves first connect them as two straight sections then make the curve.
Look at some YouTube videos on connecting track will help you understand the process.

Dale Gloer

If you don't use insulated joiners and cut gaps with a razor saw or whatever?? be sure to fill the gaps with some insulating material like styrene.  If you don't you can be guaranteed that sooner or later one of those uninsulated gaps will close and you will tear your hair trying to find what is wrong.  As the saying goes "Been there, done that, got the Tee shirt".

Dale Gloer

Don Vollrath

Your sketch is correct and the reversing section between the balloon loops will work as intended. Simply place insulated joiners at the frog end of the turnouts as you indicate. No need to cut any gaps as far as that is concerned. If you plan on dividing up the layout more for signaling blocks or CB controlled power districts using insulating joiners at turnouts is the easiest way. But if you do cut gaps... be sure to fill them with plastic or epoxy to ensure that they will never close due to rail expansion or other movement.
DonV