From: w4dccqa@groups.io <w4dccqa@groups.io> on behalf of seameadow17 <jgviolante@...>
Sent: Saturday, September 18, 2021 8:49:41 AM
To: w4dccqa@groups.io <w4dccqa@groups.io>
Subject: [w4dccqa] New DCS52

I purchased a new Digitrax DCS52 and have problems trying to add four digit address to my BLI locomotives.  I can test drive BLI in analog mode but cannot do four digit.  I have heard that the DCS52 doesn't have enough power and I need to purchase a programming booster.  Do you think the DCC Specialties Power Pax Programming Booster will help?  People have recommended this unit be installed between the DCS52 and the programming track.  I was told many DCC decoders need more power than the 52 has.  Do you think this will help?
Thank You
Jim

Jim Betz

  ... or if you are like me you use an NCE PowerCab for your "basic/initial programming".
The PowerCab is, quite simply, the best programming environment ... reliable, fast, and
easy.  I got one of these beauties back when I was primarily a Digitrax guy (and had a
"Zephyr in a box" for programming ... with a PowerPax) and have never looked back.
  There are guys who recommend other programming environments such as the
Sprog - I've tried almost all of those and haven't found them any better than my
PowerCab.
  Additionally, since I'm now running NCE on the layout, I can use the PowerCab on
the layout as a ProCab.
  Yes, I have a "PowerCab Programming Track" that is on a dedicated test and
programming track (just some track on a board with a PCP attached to the board
and the track) that I use for all of my "initial set up of the decoder".  And I have
the ability, when wanted, to use JMRI against the layout using Programming On
the Main - and use that (POM) for stuff like speed matching, setting sound
levels for the actual layout (when needed, not usual), etc.
                                                                                                  - YMMV ... Jim

Jay

Hi, I used a PowerPax several years ago. It died after 2 years,
I then purchased a Soundtraxx PTB100 to replace it & it's been working fine for years!!

Jay

JoAnn Donaldson

I use a DCS150 for my main tracks. I use a Digitrax PR3 to program my locos. I have a dedicated programming track which I can switch between LocoNet and the PR3.

JoAnn Donaldson

On Saturday, September 18, 2021, 01:08:59 PM CDT, Jay via groups.io <jayfmn@...> wrote:

Hi, I used a PowerPax several years ago. It died after 2 years,
I then purchased a Soundtraxx PTB100 to replace it & it's been working fine for years!!

Jay

Wil Davis

I agree with Jim.  The Power Cab is worth every penny.  The boosters may cost more, but the PC is able to program anything I have been to throw at it, Even a couple of Large Scale Engines.  There are some that draw more than 2 amps when running, but it doesn't take that much power to program.  I am not saying you can program any large scale engine.

I have never had any trouble programming over 100 HO scale engines.

Wil

JoAnn Donaldson

I also have a SPROG system. It is setup to do either and HO or N Scale Engine. Track is long enough to check running and sound.

JoAnn
AB8YZ

On Sunday, September 19, 2021, 08:02:52 PM CDT, Wil Davis <wdavis5069@...> wrote:

I agree with Jim.  The Power Cab is worth every penny.  The boosters may cost more, but the PC is able to program anything I have been to throw at it, Even a couple of Large Scale Engines.  There are some that draw more than 2 amps when running, but it doesn't take that much power to program.  I am not saying you can program any large scale engine.

I have never had any trouble programming over 100 HO scale engines.

Wil

Perry A Pollino

73's
KE5ABF