Need advice on wiring a cross-over and wye junction

David Penty

Edited

Hello all

I’m new to the forum and still reading my way through Allan Gartner’s Wiring for DCC documents – excellent material.  However, I’m looking for some specific guidance

At the end of my mainline, I’ve re-laid track.  In the attached diagram, the turntable was pre-existing, but all turnouts and crossover are new.  I’m not certain if an auto reverser is needed and if so, where it would be located.  Can someone give me an idea of track wiring for the layout.    Peco suggest, on the package, that insulating all ends of the crossover shouldn’t be needed but then provide an example of how to insulate the crossover on all sides.

I’m running Digitrax, Code 100 HO with Peco turnouts.

I've uploaded a schematic of the track layout under Files.  Image is called 'Peco Crossover wiring issue.jpg'

David G. Penty

Penty Photographic Services

myflyanddrive.com

davidpenty@...

(416) 574-4557 ( C )

(519) 855-6961 (R)

Blair

David,

You'll have to post the picture to the photos area here.  I saw your post on the Digitrax list.  You have two options:

1) The stretch from the crossover to the small 'y' could be fed via an autoreverser

2) The tail of the 'y' could be either fed via an autoreverser, or fed based on the position of the turnout (i.e. feed it from either leg, depending on the position of the turnout; that will require, likely, a relay or other electrical artifice).

I can't tell you which is more appropriate, as I assume your diagram is part of a larger layout.  If the tail of the 'y' in fact connects elsewhere, then the electrical 'state of affairs' may be more complicated.

Blair

On 2021-05-02 9:10, David Penty wrote:

Hello all

I’m new to the forum and still reading my way through Allan Gartner’s Wiring for DCC documents – excellent material.  However, I’m looking for some specific guidance

At the end of my mainline, I’ve re-laid track.  In the attached diagram, the turntable was pre-existing, but all turnouts and crossover are new.  I’m not certain if an auto reverser is needed and if so, where it would be located.  Can someone give me an idea of track wiring for the layout.    Peco suggest, on the package, that insulating all ends of the crossover shouldn’t be needed but then provide an example of how to insulate the crossover on all sides.

I’m running Digitrax, Code 100 HO with Peco turnouts.

Incidentally, I got some gravel stuck in the Atlas turntable;  when I lifted the platter off, 2 pins with springs fell out.   There appears to be no way to replace the pins/springs when you invert the platter to install it.  Anyone run into this issue?

Thanks in advance for your assistance

David G. Penty

Penty Photographic Services

myflyanddrive.com

davidpenty@...

(416) 574-4557 ( C )

(519) 855-6961 (R)

David Penty

Thanks, Blair.   Beyond the small ‘Y’ is a very short space and then a double crossover begins which is managed by 2 MRC auto-reversers.   But, I’ll put up the diagram, as is, unless you think I need to show more detail of the mainline.

On 2021-05-02 9:10, David Penty wrote:

Hello all

[...]

I inserted images under Photos but also under Files – I can delete one of them later.

David G. Penty

davidpenty@...

(416) 574-4557 ( C )

(519) 855-6961 (R)

On 2021-05-02 9:10, David Penty wrote:

Hello all

[...]

Tim

David;

The only place where an AR is needed on this arrangement is on the turntable bridge, and you need something there anyway. I'm not sure how an Atlas turntable is wired, so you may need to gap both rails on all of the tracks leading into it. Short stub tracks that don't connect to anything else should be OK. This assumes that you aren't running trains across the turntable bridge.

One point on terminology, what you have labeled as a crossover is actually a crossing. A crossover is a pair a turnouts put in so that you can move across from one parallel track to another.

The crossing shouldn't be any problem. These are all made with insulated frogs so that each route through the crossing is completely independent from the other.

Tim Rumph
Lancaster, SC

Don Vollrath

Tim R may be correct. If there are no rail connections between the right and left parts of the crossing X ... Wire tracks A, B and D together with the upper fixed polarity feed tracks from the mainline and track C to the fixed polarity tracks from the lower part of the mainline. No insulated joiner/gaps or AR switching required.

Check out the crossing with an ohmmeter on the bench to verify which rails and frogs are and are not connected to each other.

DonV

Don Vollrath

Check out dccwiki.com and. Search for crossings to determine if the crossing you have is a dead frog or other type. Verify with an ohmmeter on the bench. A dead frog type would be the easiest to work with.

DonV

David Penty

Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions.   I also received a fully-marked up diagram to identify how to wire my entire layout from Peco support.   Just tremendous support from them but significantly different from what I had.  So it just goes to show, best to ask first or you end up re-doing stuff.