NCE auto switch Jim Exler Schematic # NCEDCC4 Question

Dave Hamernik

Hi - On this one-line diagram Jim shows the autoswitch wired to a programming track with an isolation track. I understand that the purpose of the isolation track is to keep you from accidentally driving your loco on to the Layout which would cause issues. Here's my question: isn't the isolation track redundant in this case? The purpose of the auto switch is to detect programming data being sent from the power cab and subsequently killing power to the main. If there is no power to the main then why do you need an isolation track?

Im sure im missing something just like to know what it is.

Thanks.
--
Dave

Portland, OR

D B

Dave,
As I understand it, you don’t need an isolated program track IF the only Loco on your layout is the one you want to program.  Without isolation every Loco will be programmed.  By isolating the program track, the programming signals are sent only to the Loco on the programming track.  And by by-passing the “programming-out” terminals on the auto-switch, you can use the program track to run trains when not in program mode.
Bill D
N&W Steam Only

On Oct 6, 2021, at 7:43 PM, Dave Hamernik <jibebuoy13@...> wrote:

Hi - On this one-line diagram Jim shows the autoswitch wired to a programming track with an isolation track. I understand that the purpose of the isolation track is to keep you from accidentally driving your loco on to the Layout which would cause issues. Here's my question: isn't the isolation track redundant in this case? The purpose of the auto switch is to detect programming data being sent from the power cab and subsequently killing power to the main. If there is no power to the main then why do you need an isolation track?

Im sure im missing something just like to know what it is.

Thanks.
--
Dave

Portland, OR

Dave Hamernik

Hi Bill. But I thought that was the purpose of the auto switch. It senses that you are programming so it de-energizes the main and only programs the program track. If I had 3 locos on the main it shouldn't matter since the autoswitch de-energized the main. Right? (https://sites.google.com/site/markgurries/home/nce-info/nce-accessories/nce-autoswitch)

Btw, if anyone is wondering where the one line diagram is that I am referring to, it is in part 2 of Track Wiring on Alan's web page ( https://wiringfordcc.com/track_2.htm). The one lines are at the very, very end. I am looking at schematic ncedcc4.

Thank you.
--
Dave
Portland, OR

John Bauchiero

Dave,

The isolation track is to protect the main track from being powered by the program track, IF the loco being programmed wanders toward the main and shorts across the track boundary insulators. Some locos move substantially when programmed.

John

On Oct 6, 2021, at 9:06 PM, Dave Hamernik <jibebuoy13@...> wrote:

Hi Bill. But I thought that was the purpose of the auto switch. It senses that you are programming so it de-energizes the main and only programs the program track. If I had 3 locos on the main it shouldn't matter since the autoswitch de-energized the main. Right? (https://sites.google.com/site/markgurries/home/nce-info/nce-accessories/nce-autoswitch)

Btw, if anyone is wondering where the one line diagram is that I am referring to, it is in part 2 of Track Wiring on Alan's web page ( https://wiringfordcc.com/track_2.htm). The one lines are at the very, very end. I am looking at schematic ncedcc4.

Thank you.
--
Dave
Portland, OR

Dave Hamernik

I can buy that John.  Don't need to be a victim of Murphys Law. Thank you.
--
Dave
Portland, OR

D B

Dave,
That’s correct, but only if the programming track is isolated from the rest of the layout — which is the answer to the question you asked.
Bill D
N&W Steam Only