Topics

N scale Peco code 55 turnouts

Perry A Pollino

I am using Peco code 55 turnouts.
DCC control
I have about 64 turnouts. I plan to use Frog juicers
I was told that it would be advisable to use Charles Steadman's method of preparing the turnouts. That with as many Frog Juicers as I plan to use, upon start up the DCC system it may detect them as a short.
My question: It seems to me if I make the cuts suggested by Charles method I create a dead spot in the frog.
Does anybody have expedience with this method in N scale.
Thanks
Perry

John Johnston

Perry,

I also use Peco code 55 (Electrofrog) turnouts, and have a similar number to you.  I haven’t got Frog Juicers on all of them yet, but I have not had any problems so far with them being detected as a short.  With that many, I assume you will be using Hex juicers, which test each of their six circuits in sequence, instead of all at once.  I also have my layout divided into blocks, which also may help, but it would take a lot of Juicers to add up to one sound card.

Regarding the Steadman method, I’m not sure it is necessary. I started with no Juicers, and no other power routing mechanisms except the contact between the point rail and the stock rail.  I had surprisingly few problems as long as I kept my track impeccably clean.  But a few turnouts in yards give trouble, and I presume the number will increase as things age and oxidize.  I have started adding juicers simply by soldering a single lead to the jumper wire that connects all parts of the frog.  I have not made any cuts, and have not encountered any problems yet.  I may be blissfully unaware of an impending disaster, but so far everything has worked flawlessly.  I did have to remove lightbulbs, and to make sure that the juicers were powered from the same block as the rest of the turnout.

Good luck!

John

I have about 64 turnouts. I plan to use Frog juicers
I was told that it would be advisable to use Charles Steadman's method of preparing the turnouts. That with as many Frog Juicers as I plan to use, upon start up the DCC system it may detect them as a short.
My question: It seems to me if I make the cuts suggested by Charles method I create a dead spot in the frog.
Does anybody have expedience with this method in N scale.
Thanks
Perry

Perry A Pollino

Thanks John
I have also read that no modification to peco was needed. Yes I plan to use hex frog. My layout will have 3 to 4 power districts.
Perry