Topics

N scale DCC locomotive

Don Poitras

Can my n scale  DCC decoder equipped locomotive haul other locomotives that are analogue or only DCC ready on my future n scale DCC layout or do they all have to have decoders and programmed to my nce power cab?Thanks,Don

Glenn

NO!

The motors would not run and possibly overheat with the DCC current on the rails.

With the motors not running you would only be dragging the engines.

The only way you could accomplish coupling the engines together would be disconnecting them electrically and removing gears at the axle letting the wheels turn freely.

Glenn

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Jan 20, 2019 4:21 PM
To: w4dccqa@groups.io
Subject: [w4dccqa] N scale DCC locomotive

Can my n scale  DCC decoder equipped locomotive haul other locomotives that are analogue or only DCC ready on my future n scale DCC layout or do they all have to have decoders and programmed to my nce power cab?Thanks,Don

Don Poitras

Hello Glenn,Understood.Other than disconnecting them electrically,to follow the lead loco,would I have to have decoders in all of them and program them individually in my power cab and controll them individually?I apologise,if these questions sound silly and stupid to you,but I honestly don't have a clue.This is all new to me and bottom line....I'm hooked on trains!If you could help me ,you'd be my HERO!👍😁Don....have a good one!
From: w4dccqa@groups.io <w4dccqa@groups.io> on behalf of Glenn <ghazel@...>
Sent: January 20, 2019 6:47:56 PM
Subject: Re: [w4dccqa] N scale DCC locomotive

NO!

The motors would not run and possibly overheat with the DCC current on the rails.

With the motors not running you would only be dragging the engines.

The only way you could accomplish coupling the engines together would be disconnecting them electrically and removing gears at the axle letting the wheels turn freely.

Glenn

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Jan 20, 2019 4:21 PM
Subject: [w4dccqa] N scale DCC locomotive

Jay

Edited

This may have been overkill on my part.
All of my engines have decoders in them.
The Double Headed units are consisted in JMRI.
This was under the consist tab in JMRI.
Each consist is given their own address.
Even my 4 unit passenger consist is one address.
This makes life much easier.

Jay