MERG Cbus

Nick Monksfield

Hi all,
I am in the process of building my first HO scale layout. I have all the benchwork sorted and am currently in the process of laying cork roadbed to my design. I have an NCE Powercab DCC system for the control of locos. I am nearly ready to start my wiring.
I am constantly reading things (researching) from the web and came across a site called MERG. I am quite interested in using a system they have developed for controlling my point motors, signals and even street and building lighting. It is called Cbus and as far as I can tell works in a similar way to DCC in that it has a bus wire that transmits commands to the accessories from a central control (in my case I am planning on using a computer to control this).
My question is - Does anybody here use this system, or know anything about it, and is it what I think it is?
Thanks
Nick

Ken Bates

Yes, it does do what you think it does.

It uses 2 wires for the BUS and 2 wires (12v) to power the modules, in most cases.

I am using it, and very pleased with it as well.

If you join MERG you find a wealth of info and help, with a forum where any problems are discussed.

Ken

From: w4dccqa@groups.io <w4dccqa@groups.io> On Behalf Of nick.monksfield@...
Sent: 14 April 2021 06:49
To: w4dccqa@groups.io
Subject: [w4dccqa] MERG Cbus

Hi all,

I am in the process of building my first HO scale layout. I have all the benchwork sorted and am currently in the process of laying cork roadbed to my design. I have an NCE Powercab DCC system for the control of locos. I am nearly ready to start my wiring.

I am constantly reading things (researching) from the web and came across a site called MERG. I am quite interested in using a system they have developed for controlling my point motors, signals and even street and building lighting. It is called Cbus and as far as I can tell works in a similar way to DCC in that it has a bus wire that transmits commands to the accessories from a central control (in my case I am planning on using a computer to control this).

My question is - Does anybody here use this system, or know anything about it, and is it what I think it is?

Thanks

Nick

Nick Monksfield

Thanks Ken.
I am definitely going to join MERG to reap the benefits.
As I am nearing wiring on my layout I think I need 3 bus lines, one for DCC, a 12 volt one for accessories and one for the Cbus. Is this correct? I'm assuming that the 12 volt line will power the Cbus modules and their outputs (for example the point motors)?
Also I have been looking into what wire/cable I can buy here in Australia, and they don't seem to rely on AWG like the US, most of the wires I can see are graded on either cross-section, Amperage or area, and I'm not sure if these measurements include or exclude the insulation. I am a bit confused as to what I should get. I am thinking that I need 14 or 16AWG for the DCC bus with 22AWG feeders but can't seem to work out the equivalent here in Oz. I also have no idea what to get for the other bus runs (12 volt and Cbus).
Does anyone have any knowledge of where I can get the appropriate wire/cable and what I need here in Oz? I have looked at Bunnings and at Jaycar but have just confused myself.

George Hewitt

Nick

The dimensions all relate to the wire size as that carries the current.  

Regards

George (another Aussie)

whmvd

Hi Nick,

With an NCE system, it's quite likely you may also want to think about a Cab Bus. That's where things like extra wired cabs go, but also, if you want them, mini panels and AIUs (feedback units). Best to investigate those things now rather than too late for comfort.

Wouter

On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 at 09:10, Nick Monksfield <nick.monksfield@...> wrote:
Thanks Ken.
I am definitely going to join MERG to reap the benefits.
As I am nearing wiring on my layout I think I need 3 bus lines, one for DCC, a 12 volt one for accessories and one for the Cbus. Is this correct? I'm assuming that the 12 volt line will power the Cbus modules and their outputs (for example the point motors)?
Also I have been looking into what wire/cable I can buy here in Australia, and they don't seem to rely on AWG like the US, most of the wires I can see are graded on either cross-section, Amperage or area, and I'm not sure if these measurements include or exclude the insulation. I am a bit confused as to what I should get. I am thinking that I need 14 or 16AWG for the DCC bus with 22AWG feeders but can't seem to work out the equivalent here in Oz. I also have no idea what to get for the other bus runs (12 volt and Cbus).
Does anyone have any knowledge of where I can get the appropriate wire/cable and what I need here in Oz? I have looked at Bunnings and at Jaycar but have just confused myself.

Blair

Nick

You've hijacked the thread, this is no longer about MERG Cbus.  It's good form to raise your own new topic instead (by hijacking, you've ensured that those who aren't interested in MERG won't see your posting, as it's filed under "MERG Cbus")).  However, the damage is done, so we'll continue, unless the moderator straightens us out.

Here's another table that will help you with wire gauge to dimensions:

https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/wire/awg-to-mm.html

Here's a page on a site by Mark Gurries, an EE with significant DCC experience, with a lot of info about bus and DCC wiring; it's complementary to the wiring4DCC website, but gets at the underlying reasons a bit differently. 

https://sites.google.com/site/markgurries/home/dcc-general-best-practices/standardizing-wiring-and-connections

You haven't told us how large your layout is or what it's topography is (4x8 oval, basement filling "E" or "W", double deck, multiple yards, etc.); these things have huge effects on the lengths of run and likely current consumption, so it's very hard to tell you if your wiring choices are appropriate or not.  It's likely your layout is on the smaller side, and your choices are therefore okay, but I'm guessing at that.

Blair

On 2021-04-15 4:50, George Hewitt via groups.io wrote:
Nick

The dimensions all relate to the wire size as that carries the current.  

Regards

George (another Aussie)

Blair

Nick
Whoops, I just noticed, this is your thread.  You may hijack at will!
Blair