Topics

MegaPoints Controllers

loumickie

All,

I'm in the process of building my first large HO scale railroad with Digitrax DCC. The layout features a hidden six track staging yard with a return loop at one end. I want to be able to use servo motors to control the turnouts and have them setup for automatic route control. I'll install backup cameras to monitor the tracks, and possibly some IR detectors.

I'm considering using components from the UK company MegaPoints Controllers because of the ease of route control and their well tested servo controller boards, as well as there control panels.

I'm wondering what components I could use from U.S. distributors to control the servos and incorporate route control. I realize JMRI would be one way to do it, but it would be nice to have a control panel with push buttons to do the same thing. I'm aware that TamValley offers some servo controllers, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what components would work together to accomplish what the MegaPoints system can do. Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks,
Lou N

wirefordcc

Hi Lou,

A friend of mine has gotten interested in the Walther's LCS system.  I asked him for his input on it.  Here it is:

The Walthers LCS switch machines are servo motors with DCC decoders on them as well. The system is all plug-n-play with no soldering. Most of the components are sold separately with two different styles of LED push button facia controllers. I personally like the two color controller where one color is always lit. There is also available and adapter for tortoise machines to run on this system. Perhaps parts of this system might fit your needs.

-Keith

Allan Gartner
Wiring for DCC

loumickie

Alan,

Thanks for the info I'll take a look at the LCS switch machines. I did some more research and it seems that the Digitrax DS64 and the DT400 throttle can be setup for routes; the advantage is no control panel taking up aisle space; the disadvantage would be added complexity in programming. I would be interested in hearing from anyone using the DS64s for routing via a throttle, especially in a hidden staging yard.

Regards,
Lou N
Crossville, TN

I have been very happy with the Swedish Mollehem Sevo 5.  It is very affordable, easy to set up with their Bluetooth interface and Android app, has built in relays to supply point power, sufficient inputs for local switch control as well as Loconet control.  I think it has route control but I use JMRI for that.

wirefordcc

Hi Lou,

I don't know if they DS-64 can store any routes.  Definitely routes go in the Digitrax Command Station.  I've used the DS-54 (predecessor to the DS-54.)  Programming wasn't too bad.

Control panels stick into the aisle and take some time to wire.  Many modelers don't have wide aisles in their homes.

Good luck!

Allan Gartner
Wiring for DCC