Long AR with a turnout in the middle.

Greetings,
I run some long (15') lighted passenger trains so my AR stretches need to be at least that long. I have located the AR section to minimize turnouts off of the AR.
My question is: Does the presence of that mid-section turnout pose any problems?
Thank you,
Michael Boyle

Don Vollrath

A turnout in the middle of an AR section by itself is not necessarily a problem. If it feeds a stub track simply make the turnout and the stub track part of the AR section. If the turnout leads to/from another section of fixed polarity track ... will your lighted passenger train be using it for an entrance/exit to the AR section? If not, simply isolate that diverging path but keep the turnout itself as part of the AR section.
If the long passenger train will be using that shortened path, find a way to also make that path part of the AR section and be long enough to accommodate the entire train to the next exit point. Use a relay to reconnect some additional track to be part of the AR section when that path is selected (?)

DonV

Thanks Don,
Nice clear answer. It is possible the longest train might get sent down that track, so I'll make it a part of the AR.

-Michael Boyle

wirefordcc

Hi Michael,

You can have turnouts within an AR (automatic reverse) section.  Whether it poses a problem depends on where it goes.  Please elaborate on your track plan.  If words are not enough, please upload a drawing to our photos section.

Allan Gartner
Wiring for DCC

Hello Allan,
Thanks for your help. I tried to upload a photo, following the instructions on the Help page, but could not find the Add Photos Button. So I've pasted the diagram below. The red track is where I think the reversing section should be. There is a large yard off to the left.

Well, the diagram didn't come through and I can't figure out how to upload a photo, though I've created an Album.
Help?
-Michael Boyle

Paul O <pomilian@...>

Michael, click on the album you created; click on the “+ add photo” box; click on the “browse“ box; select the photo that you want to upload; click on “add “.

Paul O

On Mar 5, 2021, at 11:50 PM, Michael Boyle <boyle10017@...> wrote:

Well, the diagram didn't come through and I can't figure out how to upload a photo, though I've created an Album.
Help?
-Michael Boyle

Thanks Paul,
One of the great benefits of aging is the inability to see what is right in front of us.
I got the image loaded. It is in the folder labeled

Long AR with a turnout in the middle.

-Michael

Don Vollrath

Michael, look at the drawing you posted. Take a red pen and color in the horizontal line at the top of the sketch to the next turnout toward the left. Put insulating joiners there and include that section of track as part of the AR section, including the other red tracks and the turnout toward the right. I don’t see a need to do anything else.

DonV

Thanks Don,
That is easy and makes sense.
-Michael