Topics

Kato Turntable

Lloyd

I'm a newbie. Just wondering, is it possible to have a DCC wired layout but keep the TT as Kato sends it?
I don't really want to control it with my cab (Digitrax). The idea being that the locomotive is under DCC up to the approach track and then the TT power would take over.
Cheers

Perry A Pollino

Loyd, track power would be DCC, The indexing is controlled by the Kato controller. To use DCC to control the turntable you would need to ad a decoder or other control like an arduino. So, the answer to your question yes. Again track power will be DCC. Indexing through Kato controller
Perry

On Jun 15, 2020, at 5:47 AM, Lloyd <brolloy@...> wrote:

I'm a newbie. Just wondering, is it possible to have a DCC wired layout but keep the TT as Kato sends it?
I don't really want to control it with my cab (Digitrax). The idea being that the locomotive is under DCC up to the approach track and then the TT power would take over.
Cheers

Lloyd

Thanks Perry
I have looked at quite a few wiring diagrams for TT's and they all seem to favour the use of an AR, connections to all "roundhouse" tracks, etc.
The DCC controls the whole thing. Seems complicated to me who's trying the KISS (keeping it simple) method, that's why I'm trying to find out if the TT can just use its own power, like right out of the box as if it's hooked to a DC system.
I'm guessing the answer is no?
Can it be isolated from the rest of the layout in the way I describe, or is it best to go the AR and wiring all tracks route?
Cheers and thanks.

BTW, I apologize if you answered my question and I fail to see it.

Paul O

Lloyd, you need to treat this as two separate circuits; one, the motor circuit you want to remain DC; two, the track circuit which is to be DCC.
I’m not familiar with that turntable, but what you’ll need to do is separate the turntable track circuit from the tail tracks if it isn’t already separate.
Wire all the tail tracks with the same polarity of mainline track. Then connect a reversing unit from the main track to feed the turntable track.

Paul O

Perry A Pollino

Loyd,
Right out of the box the Kato Turntable can be used with DCC.
Stream line back shop has a wiring diagram I will try to attach the PDF.
All you need is 1 Auto reverse of your choice. You will use the controller that came with the TT. for indexing. It will need to be powered from the power supply that came with the TT.
The "jumper cable that came with the TT (I think it was green). Will need to be cut. Connect it to the AR unit of your choice. The other end of the AR  is feed by track feed power. That is the only modification. If I recall you leave the direction lever on the TT control in the off.
Here is a link to You tune Video done by Stream line back shop.

On Monday, June 15, 2020, 10:22:26 AM CDT, Lloyd <brolloy@...> wrote:

Thanks Perry
I have looked at quite a few wiring diagrams for TT's and they all seem to favour the use of an AR, connections to all "roundhouse" tracks, etc.
The DCC controls the whole thing. Seems complicated to me who's trying the KISS (keeping it simple) method, that's why I'm trying to find out if the TT can just use its own power, like right out of the box as if it's hooked to a DC system.
I'm guessing the answer is no?
Can it be isolated from the rest of the layout in the way I describe, or is it best to go the AR and wiring all tracks route?
Cheers and thanks.

BTW, I apologize if you answered my question and I fail to see it.

Lloyd

Thanks everyone
It appears that the best and easiest way is to use the AR.
The diagram and video are a big help.