Topics

Kato Platform DX and lighting

Lloyd

I'm wondering about wiring on a DCC layout.
Is it possible to keep it DC? Can I connect the lights to Woodland Scenic's Just Plug lighting? Can I connect to a DS64?
Thanks

Lloyd

wirefordcc

Hi Lloyd,

I’m a little thrown by “Platform DX” in your subject line.  You don’t mention DX in the body of your question.  Is DX a typo?  I’m not familiar with a Kato DX product.

Yes, you can go both DC and DCC.  If you have a small layout and will only run one train, you can switch between DC and DCC.  There’s a lot more to it.  I’m planning a column on it in Model Railroader magazine in a few months.

If you are just asking if you can keep the lighting DC, most definitely.  Ye, you can use the Just Plug-It lighting system.  If you want basic lighting, just use the system as designed.  If you want lighting effects, there are DCC products that allow you to get fancy like the NCE Illunimator lighting decoder.  You mention the Digitrax DS64, so I’m wondering if you have a Digitrax system.  Even if you do, you can use the NCE Illuminator as that runs off of any DCC track bus.

The DS64 is for use when controlled, or at least powered, by DCC.  I don’t see in the promotional information that it can be run off of DC power.

Did I answer your questions?

Allan Gartner

Wiring for DCC

,

I'm wondering about wiring on a DCC layout.
Is it possible to keep it DC? Can I connect the lights to Woodland Scenic's Just Plug lighting? Can I connect to a DS64?
Thanks

Lloyd

Kiran Kaja

Platform DX is a term I came across with Kato's new range of suburban platforms and they do have lighting accessories. I did connect those lights to DCC and they seem to be working fine so far. I don't know if long exposure to higher DCC voltages will damage those LEDs though.

Kiran

On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 12:16 PM wirefordcc <bigboy@...> wrote:

[...]

The light kit is a Kato product (2300) to go with the newer Kato platform/station. I believe they can be wired directly to a Kato controller (DC). I have one so I might do that, just for these lights.

Lloyd

Thanks Kiran. I'm going to try keep them on DC.