From: w4dccqa@groups.io <w4dccqa@groups.io> On Behalf Of Lloyd
Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2020 9:46 AM
To: w4dccqa@groups.io
Subject: [w4dccqa] JMRI

Questions:
There is a roster for locomotives in Panel Pro and in Decoder Pro.
Do they talk to each other?
I'm planning on using Panel Pro to run trains, turnouts etc., do I need to put locomotives in Decoder Pro first? Or can I use Panel Pro on the programming track?
Thanks.

Lloyd

So I can use either PanelPro or DecoderPro for the programming track?

Cheers

thomasmclae

The only difference between DecoderPro and PanelPro is the display screens. Underneath they are one program.
So yes, the same roster is available to both interfaces.
You can set the roster location folder, using the preferences. I have not looked to see if this setting is set for each configuration.
Look on the JMRI group for pros/cons to programming track vs programming track. Sime decoders work best with one method or the other. (BLI and POM for example)

Thomas
DeSoto, TX

crellin_j_e

Think of PanelPro not a program but just a menu page and one of those items is the roster or DecoderPro.

DecoderPro shortcut is really just a way to go right to the roster program without opening the PanelPro menu first for those that don't use the many other options of JMRI.

BTW: there is a JMRI group you should join.   It will offer more help related to JMRI...

John Crellin
Bradenton, FL

Lloyd

Thanks everyone. It is as I thought but you all confirmed it.