Topics

insulfrog or electrofrog ?

staceyatvt@...

Edited

iam building a peco ho code 100 dcc layout  some of the turnouts i will use to enter the fright yard  and exit the yard and some will be used  in the fright yard
ok question what turnout is better to use the insulfrog or the electrofrogs for dcc
thanks

wirefordcc

Stacey,

You can always use Electrofrogs.  Insulfrogs may not work well with short wheelbase locomotives or those that only have a few wheels of pick-up on each side.  Insulfrogs are a little simplier to wire up.  So if you want to use Insulfrogs, I'd buy one of the highest size number you intend to use and try it out with all your favorite locomotives.  You still might have a problem with a locomotive you buy in the future.

You can also use Electrofrogs and not wire the frog unless you find you need to.  Note:  The size the dead area on an unpowered Electrofrog is a little larger than that of the Insulfrog.  If you do this, be sure to drop the frog wire down through the benchwork in case you need it in the future.

I use the Electrofrogs so I never have to worry about dead frogs.  You can learn more about Electrofrogs and Insufrogs on my website at:

http://www.wiringfordcc.com/switches_peco.htm

Allan
Wiring For DCC

Clark Propst

Electrofrogs were great back in DC days, because they killed power to the track NOT selected. With DCC insulfrogs are the way to go. They’re like the old “Snap track switches” no worries about shorting when switches face each other at sidings and such.

Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

iam building a peco ho code 100 dcc layout  some of the turnouts i will use to enter the fright yard  and exit the yard and some will be used  in the fright yard
ok question what turnouts shuold i use the insulfrog or the electrofrogs
thanks

Doug Wagner

After trying Insulfrogs on our club's layout, we have decided to convert them to Electrofrogs as we hate having "dead" sections of track!

But that's just us......

Doug Wagner
Bakersfield, California

In a message dated 09/18/19 16:08:08 Pacific Standard Time, staceyatvt@... writes:

[Edited Message Follows]
[Reason: change part of the question from what should i get to what is better]

iam building a peco ho code 100 dcc layout  some of the turnouts i will use to enter the fright yard  and exit the yard and some will be used  in the fright yard
ok question what turnout is better to use the insulfrog or the electrofrogs for dcc
thanks

Bill Aulicino

You might want to look into Peco Unifrogs. They have a feeder wire attached to an insulated frog, and non hinged continuous points. Truly plug and play.
Bill Aulicino

[Reason: change part of the question from what should i get to what is better]

iam building a peco ho code 100 dcc layout  some of the turnouts i will use to enter the fright yard  and exit the yard and some will be used  in the fright yard
ok question what turnout is better to use the insulfrog or the electrofrogs for dcc
thanks

Denny Anspach

If one subscribes to DCC Best Practice of leaving no track or rail segment unpowered (I have, and I do), then Electrofrog is your choice. You will never, ever regret it

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD
Okoboji, IA

Dale Gloer

I'm with Denny.  Use Electrofrogs and prepare as described in the W4DCC pages and route the frog power via your switch machine.  Feed all your tracks from a heavy main bus.  Then no matter what you use as a loco there will never be any stalling on your switches.

It is more work than using Insulfrogs but a whole lot more reliable.

Dale Gloer

Jennifer Lobo

I agree with Denny. I have just laid track and points on a new OO gauge  layout...it is all Peco Streamline SL-100 Electrofrog. Yes, the wiring is more complicated but the locos run beautifully.

Regards

Geoff Clarke

On Thursday, September 19, 2019, 8:30:39 a.m. EDT, Denny Anspach <danspachmd@...> wrote:

If one subscribes to DCC Best Practice of leaving no track or rail segment unpowered (I have, and I do), then Electrofrog is your choice. You will never, ever regret it

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD
Okoboji, IA

Keith Elrod

I use Insulfrogs and have never had a problem.
Keith

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 1:58 PM Jennifer Lobo via Groups.Io <jenngeoff2003=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I agree with Denny. I have just laid track and points on a new OO gauge  layout...it is all Peco Streamline SL-100 Electrofrog. Yes, the wiring is more complicated but the locos run beautifully.

Regards

Geoff Clarke

On Thursday, September 19, 2019, 8:30:39 a.m. EDT, Denny Anspach <danspachmd@...> wrote:

If one subscribes to DCC Best Practice of leaving no track or rail segment unpowered (I have, and I do), then Electrofrog is your choice. You will never, ever regret it

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD
Okoboji, IA

John Bishop

Having used both, I strongly believe in powering the frogs, as I have on my home layout. Its not hard. With Tortoise machines, there are contacts to do that. With Switchmasters (which I use) there is a microswitch available.  And if the control is near the switch, just use a DPDT to change to polarity of the frog when you throw the switch.  In case it matters, I'm in O scale.

John Bishop

On Thursday, September 19, 2019, 12:41:52 PM PDT, Keith Elrod <elrodk73@...> wrote:

I use Insulfrogs and have never had a problem.
Keith

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 1:58 PM Jennifer Lobo via Groups.Io <jenngeoff2003=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I agree with Denny. I have just laid track and points on a new OO gauge  layout...it is all Peco Streamline SL-100 Electrofrog. Yes, the wiring is more complicated but the locos run beautifully.

Regards

Geoff Clarke

On Thursday, September 19, 2019, 8:30:39 a.m. EDT, Denny Anspach <danspachmd@...> wrote:

If one subscribes to DCC Best Practice of leaving no track or rail segment unpowered (I have, and I do), then Electrofrog is your choice. You will never, ever regret it

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD
Okoboji, IA

Doug Wagner

As long as both trucks on your loco are picking up power, you should not have an issue with "dead" frogs. However, one of those loco trucks aren't picking up power and you have a dead loco

Doug Wagner
Bakersfield, California

In a message dated 09/19/19 12:41:52 Pacific Standard Time, elrodk73@... writes:

I use Insulfrogs and have never had a problem.
Keith

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 1:58 PM Jennifer Lobo via Groups.Io <jenngeoff2003=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I agree with Denny. I have just laid track and points on a new OO gauge  layout...it is all Peco Streamline SL-100 Electrofrog. Yes, the wiring is more complicated but the locos run beautifully.

Regards

Geoff Clarke

On Thursday, September 19, 2019, 8:30:39 a.m. EDT, Denny Anspach <danspachmd@...> wrote:

If one subscribes to DCC Best Practice of leaving no track or rail segment unpowered (I have, and I do), then Electrofrog is your choice. You will never, ever regret it

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD
Okoboji, IA

Doug Wagner

Yes, and we've had those issues from folks who don't do regular maintenance on their locos.

But they blame the track work!

Doug Wagner
Bakersfield, California

In a message dated 09/19/19 18:22:09 Pacific Standard Time, carldw@... writes:

As long as both trucks on your loco are picking up power, you should not have an issue with "dead" frogs. However, one of those loco trucks aren't picking up power and you have a dead loco

Doug Wagner

If we spend a lot of time looking for dead spots on our railroads, why do we intentionally install them on our layouts, then? Askin' for a friend....LOL

Doug Wagner
Bakersfield, California

In a message dated 09/19/19 13:30:55 Pacific Standard Time, snboy2001@... writes:

[...]

PennsyNut

This is IMHO only. If you are doing a small layout where the turnouts are accessible, use Insulfrogs. I have a small layout and use code 83 Insulfrogs. All track is caulked down except the turnouts. All turnouts are easily removed. No wiring whatsoever/use hand throws. But:if a layout is larger, and you use motors on turnouts, and/or lighting, etc. to show position; then you already have wiring to do. In that case, the Electrofrogs might be best. In my case, simplicity is/was foremost. And, should it be necessary for me to replace the turnouts, each and everyone is removable for whatever reason. Of course, that involves expense and time consuming work. But for now, I have no problems and believe that I will not have any in the future. (No short wheelbase locos. BLI for steam, and a few other brand diesels. None of which have problems with Insulfrogs.
--
Morgan Bilbo, new to DCC