Topics

How to wire a large garden extension layout

kim_atkins@...

Hi,
I’m Kim and I Model UK O Gauge with a friend here in Western Australia.
I’m helping to extend his o gauge 8m end to end, garage layout into the garden. He is using a NCE Radio Procab handset linked to a SB3a 5amp system with a EB1 circuit breaker and a RB02 wireless base station.
I / we need help re what size the wiring will need to be and what further NCE equipment is needed.
The 8m existing layout has an extension of 6m twin mainline which will go into a storage area inside a shed, then the twin lines go out into the garden on a 10m long raised curved section which will then connect to a twin track oval approx 50m total run round in length.
So we need to find out how to add to the NCE system to allow us to use wireless procab hand sets around the garden area, which I assume means adding at least 1 x DB5 booster and because of the distances a second wireless base station linked to it?
We intend to wire each section of track and pointwork with 24 strand dropper wire but we are not sure on the size of the main bus wire.
All trackwork will be approx 1.2m above ground level so no buried wires.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards Kim

wirefordcc

Hi Kim,

My website has a table of wire sizes that are appropriate for each scale.  You can find the table for bus wires at:

http://www.wiringfordcc.com/track_2.htm#a26

For feeders, use this table:

http://www.wiringfordcc.com/track_2.htm#a14

For general information on DCC in the garden, check out this page based on my garden railroad:

http://www.wiringfordcc.com/garden.htm

Soldering to G-scale track takes a lot of heat.  If you can find clamps that will clamp your wires to your track, you may want to use those.  Be sure your track is clean where you intend to clamp it.

Putting boosters in your garden can be done, but keeping the water out of them can be difficult.  So if you can, locate your boosters close to the garden.  Twist your wires and use snubbers at the ends of your runs.

I've not used NCE equipment in the garden, so I'll leave the recommendations as to what equipment should be used to those with the experience. (I plan to use NCE equipment in my next garden railway, but that may be a few years off.)

Allan Gartner
Wiring For DCC

whmvd

I was foolish enough to have a gently sweeping curve with a bit of camber. Possibly the biggest mistake I ever made - not even an LGB crocodile could get through... It looked spectacularly natural, but I had to go back to an ordinary flat curve because of contact problems.

Wouter