Topics

Hornby Pendolo digital

Richard Sutcliffe

One of the new members of our club, recently from the UK, brought in a Hornby Pendolino set. 
The packaging has reference to “Digital” & "NMRA Dcc” as well as NMRA compatible.

When placed on a Digitrax programming track there no acknowledgement (na).
Looking inside there is a mother board with another board plugged into a 7 pin socket.

Am I right in assuming the second board, with a number of components, simply bridges the motor to the track?

The unit does run on straight DC, but there is no response on DCC address 3, 1, 2, or 12.

Dick Sutcliffe
Secretary
Dewdney-Alouette Railway Society

Theo van Riet

Op 3 okt. 2018, om 07:04 heeft Richard Sutcliffe <ras1@...> het volgende geschreven:

Looking inside there is a mother board with another board plugged into a 7 pin socket.

Am I right in assuming the second board, with a number of components, simply bridges the motor to the track?

The board, plugged in the 7pin socket has to be replaced by a decoder of his choice, then it will start reacting on digital signals.
This looks to me as an analog train, prepared for digital…

Theo

--                 
Greetings from the heath in the north of Belgium 

Richard Sutcliffe

Thanks Theo

Kinda what I figured.

Guess we would have to hard wire - the 7 pin stock is not a recognized DCC configuration.

On Oct 3, 2018, at 1:25 AM, Theo van Riet <tvanriet@...> wrote:

Op 3 okt. 2018, om 07:04 heeft Richard Sutcliffe <ras1@...> het volgende geschreven:

The board, plugged in the 7pin socket has to be replaced by a decoder of his choice, then it will start reacting on digital signals.

Theo

--                 

Dick Sutcliffe

Secretary

Howard Greenway

The DCC version of the Pendolino has a ‘special’ Hornby 7 pin decoder but it is not a very good performer. A picture of this plug in board would help. I don’t think a 7 pin blanking plug is available so it is most likely a decoder set to another address. Some-one with a decent DCC controller could read this value. I changed the chassis on mine to the DCC ready version which strangely comes with a conventional 8 pin socket and fitted a decent decoder.
Howard

On 4 Oct 2018, at 06:10, Richard Sutcliffe <ras1@...> wrote:

Thanks Theo

Kinda what I figured.

Guess we would have to hard wire - the 7 pin stock is not a recognized DCC configuration.

On Oct 3, 2018, at 1:25 AM, Theo van Riet <tvanriet@...> wrote:

Theo

--                 

Dick Sutcliffe

Secretary

Richard Sutcliffe

Howard

I don’t have access to the unit for a photo.
The plug in the socket had 2 diodes and two capacitors, just like most DC adapter plugs.
Ran on DC, with lights.
We will probably hard wire a DCC socket and use a basic decoder, although the father was intrigued by my Kato Shinkansen with an electric Econami decoder.
They showed up with a set of EMUs last week, but these have a standard 8 pin socket and DC “blanking” plug.

On Oct 14, 2018, at 8:39 AM, Howard Greenway via Groups.Io <greenwayhoward@...> wrote:

The DCC version of the Pendolino has a ‘special’ Hornby 7 pin decoder but it is not a very good performer. A picture of this plug in board would help. I don’t think a 7 pin blanking plug is available so it is most likely a decoder set to another address. Some-one with a decent DCC controller could read this value. I changed the chassis on mine to the DCC ready version which strangely comes with a conventional 8 pin socket and fitted a decent decoder.
Howard