Topics

HELP needed ..to select turnouts for DCC???

calldrin <eb2chuck@...>

I just found this group and I think maybe I can get a "straight"
answer here.

Today I'm in the process of installing the track for my 6'x14' DCC
powered HO layout.
"
My "KUNFUSION" is understanding just what type of turnouts I need to use.

Can I use what I now have: 8 Peco SL-E91 "electrofrog" and 2 Shinohara
N100#4R/H turnouts?
Non of these turnouts have any sort of insulated gaps.

The instructions say that they can be used without modifications...BUT
... almost everything I have read say that they "MUST" be modified to
work with DCC.

I really want to keep things "KISS" simple and use manual throws if
possible.

OK.. can someone tell me the "facts" about these turnouts and just
what must I do to get them working correctly???

ALSO: If someone would send me your phone number, off line, I'd love
to chat with you at my expense.

Please and thank you for your help.

Chuck Alldrin
Chico, CA

wirefordcc <wire4dcc_admin@...>

Chuck,

Visit my website at: http://www.wiringfordcc.com/switches.htm There
you can get instructions for both Peco and Shinohara.

Now that there are DCC friendly turnouts available from
Walthers/Shinohara, I would just go with those and not bother
modifying the turnouts you have. It's easier to do that and sell the
ones you have on eBay.

Allan

calldrin <eb2chuck@...>

--- In WiringForDCC@..., "wirefordcc"
<wire4dcc_admin@c...> wrote:

Chuck,

Visit my website at: http://www.wiringfordcc.com/switches.htm There
you can get instructions for both Peco and Shinohara.

Now that there are DCC friendly turnouts available from
Walthers/Shinohara, I would just go with those and not bother
modifying the turnouts you have. It's easier to do that and sell the
ones you have on eBay.

Allan
Thanks for the reply.
I went to the Walthers page and the only DCC friendly are code 83.
I need code 100. Soooo, I guess I'm out of luck.
Well back to my original problem... Just what is the least I need to
do to make my Peco's work?
I have looked at your web pages many times and I'm still not sure what
to do or not to do!!
Can I use the Peco's just as they are? If so what will be the downside
of using them?

Man, I thought DCC was the way to go... but.. now I'm not so sure ;-(

Thanks again for your help.

Chuck

wirefordcc <wire4dcc_admin@...>

Chuck,

I'm not sure what you are looking for. The instructions for the
electrofrog are at: http://www.wiringfordcc.com/switches_peco.htm#a2
The Peco electrofrog is basically DCC friendly. There isn't much you
have to do.

In your earlier posting, you asked about using manual turnout
control. That is covered at:
http://www.wiringfordcc.com/switches.htm#a14 The approached covered
here works pretty good for our manual ground throws. We got a little
smarter since the phoots were taken. Be sure to heed the suggestion
that says run the grain of the top piece of wood lengthwise. This is
much stronger.