Topics

Help identifying decoder

Nick Ostrosky

This isn't strictly a wiring question but I'm hoping for some help/direction.  I have a Stewart Hobbies F7 equipped with a Soundtraxx decoder.  Being new to JMRI I am trying to add it to my roster but I don't know the specific model of the decoder.  What I do know:

  • The board itself says Sountraxx (no other identifying marks I can see).
  • A card in the box says Tsunami EMD 567
  • My NCE cab says it's manufacturer 141, version 064 which I can't find in any Soundtraxx on-line documentation (including the OEM section for Bowser/Stewart).
The JMRI "read decoder" brings it back as something completely different than Soundtraxx.  I have a photo but don't seem to have the permissions necessary to upload it here.

Any suggestions?  Thanks!

redking56@...

The NMRA Manufacturer ID list shows 141 as "Throttle-Up (Soundtraxx)".

Rich

Greg Williams

If it is a factory installed decoder, Soundtraxx has a spot on its website about factory installed decoders. Find it at:

https://www.soundtraxx.com/factory/index.php

Greg Williams

Gary Chudzinski

>Nick Ostrosky writes:  My NCE cab says it's manufacturer 141, version 064 which I can't find in any Soundtraxx on-line

Nick,  Your decoder is a Soundtraxx Tsunami (not ECO or Tsunami2)

Below is the Soundtraxx reference to CV7.  CV8 = 141 for Soundtraxx.

Gary Chudzinski

Nick Ostrosky

Thank you all for your tips.  Another user pointed me to the JMRI website http://jmri.org/xml/XSLT/pages/DecoderId.html which has helped me narrow the field considerably.  Not the easiest thing to find on the JMRI site so I have bookmarked it for future use.

John Johnston

Nick,
You may want to download Decoder Pro from the same website. I had similar identity problems with a factory installed decoder that was different from the accompanying information, and also had an odd manufacturer ID. Once I figured out that it was made by Soundtraxx, I was able to experiment with the list of available setups and find one (Tsunami) that worked beautifully for my loco. Decoder Pro is a lifesaver.

John Johnston

On Nov 14, 2018, at 6:31 AM, Nick Ostrosky <nick79ostr@...> wrote:

Thank you all for your tips.  Another user pointed me to the JMRI website http://jmri.org/xml/XSLT/pages/DecoderId.html which has helped me narrow the field considerably.  Not the easiest thing to find on the JMRI site so I have bookmarked it for future use.

Nick Ostrosky

I am working with Decoder Pro, that’s what was giving me strange readings on the board.  That said, even with the “read from decoder” I was presented dozens of options, so I was looking for a way to narrow down the choices and was able to do so with the JMRI list.

A final thank you to everyone that provided input on my question.