Help an old newbie

Joseph A. Correro, Jr.

Edited

I want to put "soft" Styrofoam base under single track mainline on my around the room 2' shelf HO layout. All I can find w/in 100 miles is 3/4" insulation board wrapped on both sides w/foil. Can't use this? Will screw up my wiring would it not?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Daniel

Hi, 
I’m in Argentina, South America. Thank for allow me being part of this group. 
¿Can anyone recommend me some group for general purposes? For example: couplers, landscaping, lighting, etc 
Thank very much. 
Daniel Nápoli 

El 26 oct. 2021, a la(s) 16:56, Joseph A. Correro, Jr. <joedeyejr@...> escribió:

[Edited Message Follows]

I want to put "soft" Styrofoam base under single track mainline on my around the room 2' shelf HO layout. All I can find w/in 100 miles is 3/4" insulation board wrapped on both sides w/foil. Can't use this? Will screw up my wiring would it not?

Scott H. Haycock

The foil should peel off.

Scott Haycock
Modeling Tarheel country in the Land of Enchantm
ent

On 10/26/2021 12:50 PM Joseph A. Correro, Jr. <joedeyejr@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

David Klemm

Joseph,

So your saying none of the box stores have the pink or blue 1 or 2 inch foam?  Comes in 4 x 8 sheets. 

David Klemm
12 PRO

From: w4dccqa@groups.io <w4dccqa@groups.io> on behalf of Scott H. Haycock <shhaycock@...>
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2021 15:18
To: w4dccqa@groups.io
Subject: Re: [w4dccqa] Help an old newbie

Scott Haycock
ent

[Edited Message Follows]

Joseph A. Correro, Jr.

Thank you 

On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 3:18 PM Scott H. Haycock <shhaycock@...> wrote:

Scott Haycock
ent

[Edited Message Follows]

--
Jody

Joseph A. Correro, Jr.

Yes, and none near me

On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 3:20 PM David Klemm <davidklemm7511@...> wrote:
Joseph,

So your saying none of the box stores have the pink or blue 1 or 2 inch foam?  Comes in 4 x 8 sheets. 

David Klemm
12 PRO

From: w4dccqa@groups.io <w4dccqa@groups.io> on behalf of Scott H. Haycock <shhaycock@...>
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2021 15:18

Scott Haycock
ent

[Edited Message Follows]

--
Jody

PennsyNut

? Just an idea. If the foil peels off, as has been suggested, fine. But. Depending on what you put on the board can determine if it's a wiring problem. Example: If you are putting cork or foamboard on that 3/4", and the track on that. You might not have any problem. The bare part of the wire should be soldered to the rail. From that point down, that wire should be insulated. So there's no problem. On the other hand, you might use another layer of insulation. Such as a plastic tube to put the wire through. ? A plastic straw? Or some shrink tubing? Just make sure there is no metal to metal contact. Just an idea off the top of my head. Others should chime in here.
Morgan Bilbo, DCC since 8/18. Model PRR 1952.

Joseph A. Correro, Jr.

My first attempt at any layout...I'm 75 and attempting to model ICRR mid/late '30s to late 40s...no diesels...Thank you PennsyNut. Putting the track on top of the foamboard. I like the idea of a plastic tube for wire from surface to bus.

Glenn

I think you want extruded polystyrene. It comes in several colors depending on the manufacturer. It is not covered in foil like Styrofoam.

What big box stores are near you?

Do ever get old, you will regret it for the rest of your life.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Oct 26, 2021 2:50 PM
To: <w4dccqa@groups.io>
Subject: [w4dccqa] Help an old newbie

[Edited Message Follows]

Joseph A. Correro, Jr.

Lowe’s, Super Walmart and Home Depot... Thank you Glenn. Been married to my beautiful wife for more than 53 years 

On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 5:57 PM Glenn <ghazel@...> wrote:

I think you want extruded polystyrene. It comes in several colors depending on the manufacturer. It is not covered in foil like Styrofoam.

[Edited Message Follows]

--
Jody

PennsyNut

The best choice for you would be as suggested, the pink or blue foam sold by HD or Lowes. Either of those stores. You mentioned not being near them. And that's why I addressed some ideas on how to use the 3/4". Don't feel bad about starting at 75. I started at 80. Age does not deter us from being smart. LOL And MR is fun no matter what age. My layout is a shelf, using the 4'x8' pink foam cut into 4 12" wide pieces. I used 3 end to end for a 24' shelf. Albeit only 12" deep. So, it's possible/feasible. Now - if you are putting track right on that board with foil. I would say NO. My suggestions include a roadbed to separate the foil from the track. But again, the 2" foam is preferred. For the difference in quality, the pink foam would be preferred for a drive of 100 miles. The cost isn't prohibitable. Your gas will cost more. My layout, as mentioned, is on ONLY the 2" foam. Held up by brackets every 16". No sag now for over a year.

Robert J Miller CFA

Styrofoam is the blue brand and is made by Dow Chemical. I have yet to see it with foil, but that does not

From: w4dccqa@groups.io <w4dccqa@groups.io> on behalf of Glenn <ghazel@...>
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2021 6:57:19 PM
To: w4dccqa@groups.io <w4dccqa@groups.io>

[Edited Message Follows]

Joseph A. Correro, Jr.

Thank you, Glenn. I will  take your advice. My son can help me with getting materials back here. My shelf is 24” deep with a lift-up at exit to outside and a removable “bridge” into dining room. I was not going to put track directly on the foil. Thank you for your insight and suggestions. My introduction to railroading was in 1951 when an ICRR VP who lived in our home town lifted me up to engineer or fireman in the cab of what my late dad told was a Pacific type engine. Today there are no RR tracks here.

On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 7:08 PM PennsyNut <fan4pennsy@...> wrote:
The best choice for you would be as suggested, the pink or blue foam sold by HD or Lowes. Either of those stores. You mentioned not being near them. And that's why I addressed some ideas on how to use the 3/4". Don't feel bad about starting at 75. I started at 80. Age does not deter us from being smart. LOL And MR is fun no matter what age. My layout is a shelf, using the 4'x8' pink foam cut into 4 12" wide pieces. I used 3 end to end for a 24' shelf. Albeit only 12" deep. So, it's possible/feasible. Now - if you are putting track right on that board with foil. I would say NO. My suggestions include a roadbed to separate the foil from the track. But again, the 2" foam is preferred. For the difference in quality, the pink foam would be preferred for a drive of 100 miles. The cost isn't prohibitable. Your gas will cost more. My layout, as mentioned, is on ONLY the 2" foam. Held up by brackets every 16". No sag now for over a year.

--
Jody

Bruce Edgar

Unfortunately pink foam insulation is not available everywhere. For example, I can’t get it here in south Florida. You might try a google search for the product and have it shipped. 

Bruce

From: w4dccqa@groups.io <w4dccqa@groups.io> on behalf of Joseph A. Correro, Jr. <joedeyejr@...>
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2021 7:02:56 PM

Lowe’s, Super Walmart and Home Depot... Thank you Glenn. Been married to my beautiful wife for more than 53 years 

[Edited Message Follows]

--
Jody

AD

Can someone tell me what w4dccqa group is and how do you join or send messages from it.

Tony

On Oct 26, 2021, at 7:03 PM, Joseph A. Correro, Jr. <joedeyejr@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

--
Jody

Charles Brumbelow

Are you certain the foil is metal? Possibly metal colored plastic. Charles

On Oct 26, 2021, at 5:04 PM, Joseph A. Correro, Jr. <joedeyejr@...> wrote:

My first attempt at any layout...I'm 75 and attempting to model ICRR mid/late '30s to late 40s...no diesels...Thank you PennsyNut. Putting the track on top of the foamboard. I like the idea of a plastic tube for wire from surface to bus.

Allan AE2V

Hi Tony,

The fact that you sent the message below tells me that you joined and you have figured out how to send a message to it.

W4DCCQA is the Wiring for DCC Question and Answer Forum.  It is for Digital Command Control wiring questions.

Allan Gartner

Wiring for DCC

From: w4dccqa@groups.io <w4dccqa@groups.io> On Behalf Of AD via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2021 7:08 PM

Can someone tell me what w4dccqa group is and how do you join or send messages from it.

Tony

On Oct 26, 2021, at 7:03 PM, Joseph A. Correro, Jr. <joedeyejr@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

--

Jody

george hohon3

Can anyone list the specific benefits of using blue or pink insulation foam on a fixed base home layout?  Besides the negative added cost of the material, what are the gained benefits from such an expense?  Objective measurable benefits please.

LG

From: w4dccqa@groups.io <w4dccqa@groups.io> on behalf of Joseph A. Correro, Jr. <joedeyejr@...>
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2021 3:04 PM

Allan AE2V

Questions like this are best on layout construction groups.  This group is for wiring model train layouts for Digital Command Control.

Allan Gartner
Wiring for DCC