From: staceyatvt@...
Date: 4/26/19 4:50 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: w4dccqa@groups.io
Subject: [w4dccqa] going from bachmann to peco

well i give up on bachmann its to much to try and make it dcc i was looking at peco tracks and turnouts code 75 i dont know much about it and atlas tracks code 75 ho sccale can i mixed atlas and peco tracks i read peco trurnouts are better and atlas code 75 strights and curve tracks as well  ist ill buy the stright and curves then the turnouts also my room i can use about half its about 7 ft W x 9 1/2 Long i got my main line going around that space and 3 trunouts enter rail yard and 3 that exit it in the yard i got 4 turnouts connecting to each of the 4 rails the 3 rails exit the yard to main 4th is a dead end use that for the hopper cars to pick up litle things like weel parts ect so shuold i keep them as one type code track or can i mix atlas and peco tracks

staceyatvt@...

sorry about my spelling and gramer yes it sucks and not easy when spend a good part of my child hood in a state run childrens phyp hospitol in the 70s they didnt know anything about autism in  yeay 2000 they didtest and that when i lean i have autism And Im 56 Now but anyway
1 can I mix atlas with peco tracks
2 shuold i make sure they all same code
3 on my train layout therre will be 11 turnouts using the elect frogs on the trunouts
4 i want to run the turnout switching together  on  1 a bo0x i can use just for the turnout swtiches  and have a controller for the trains is there a switch type box i can use just for them
i hope this is a bit better so u understand it better
thank you
stacey

Paul O

Stacey,
Regarding numbers 1&2:
Yes you can mix atlas and pico tracks. If you are going to use two different call sizes they make special rail joiners just for that purpose to join two different size of rails.

Regarding numbers 3&4:
Can you give us some additional information regarding the turnouts;  what do you mean about electric frogs and what type of switch box are you referring to?

Paul O

On Apr 26, 2019, at 8:54 PM, staceyatvt@... wrote:

sorry about my spelling and gramer yes it sucks and not easy when spend a good part of my child hood in a state run childrens phyp hospitol in the 70s they didnt know anything about autism in  yeay 2000 they didtest and that when i lean i have autism And Im 56 Now but anyway
1 can I mix atlas with peco tracks
2 shuold i make sure they all same code
3 on my train layout therre will be 11 turnouts using the elect frogs on the trunouts
4 i want to run the turnout switching together  on  1 a bo0x i can use just for the turnout swtiches  and have a controller for the trains is there a switch type box i can use just for them
i hope this is a bit better so u understand it better
thank you
stacey

Max Maginness

I would make no attempt to do so - and not to pick too much on the original message, but if you want advice please organize your question(s).

Wow! Hard to decipher this one sentence paragraph.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

well i give up on bachmann its to much to try and make it dcc i was looking at peco tracks and turnouts code 75 i dont know much about it and atlas tracks code 75 ho sccale can i mixed atlas and peco tracks i read peco trurnouts are better and atlas code 75 strights and curve tracks as well  ist ill buy the stright and curves then the turnouts also my room i can use about half its about 7 ft W x 9 1/2 Long i got my main line going around that space and 3 trunouts enter rail yard and 3 that exit it in the yard i got 4 turnouts connecting to each of the 4 rails the 3 rails exit the yard to main 4th is a dead end use that for the hopper cars to pick up litle things like weel parts ect so shuold i keep them as one type code track or can i mix atlas and peco tracks

Dave <ggagerailer@...>

Thanks..no worries..

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019, 17:59 rhemker <rhemker@...> wrote:
Wow! Hard to decipher this one sentence paragraph.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

well i give up on bachmann its to much to try and make it dcc i was looking at peco tracks and turnouts code 75 i dont know much about it and atlas tracks code 75 ho sccale can i mixed atlas and peco tracks i read peco trurnouts are better and atlas code 75 strights and curve tracks as well  ist ill buy the stright and curves then the turnouts also my room i can use about half its about 7 ft W x 9 1/2 Long i got my main line going around that space and 3 trunouts enter rail yard and 3 that exit it in the yard i got 4 turnouts connecting to each of the 4 rails the 3 rails exit the yard to main 4th is a dead end use that for the hopper cars to pick up litle things like weel parts ect so shuold i keep them as one type code track or can i mix atlas and peco tracks

ggagerailer@...

I was going to cover my Bachman Two Truck Shay..  I decided not.   It was the new spectrum series.  But the gearing kept messing up.   AND that was sending back to Bachmann twice.  No, I have gave up on Bachman.  I would love to have a DCC steam locomotive someday.

Dave

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019, 15:50 <staceyatvt@...> wrote:
well i give up on bachmann its to much to try and make it dcc i was looking at peco tracks and turnouts code 75 i dont know much about it and atlas tracks code 75 ho sccale can i mixed atlas and peco tracks i read peco trurnouts are better and atlas code 75 strights and curve tracks as well  ist ill buy the stright and curves then the turnouts also my room i can use about half its about 7 ft W x 9 1/2 Long i got my main line going around that space and 3 trunouts enter rail yard and 3 that exit it in the yard i got 4 turnouts connecting to each of the 4 rails the 3 rails exit the yard to main 4th is a dead end use that for the hopper cars to pick up litle things like weel parts ect so shuold i keep them as one type code track or can i mix atlas and peco tracks

staceyatvt@...

1 the left and right turnouts
2 the electrofrog
3 something like the peco switch machine but better so i can switch each turnout and run my trains on the controll box i have

Richard Main

Hi,

I'd thoroughly recommend only using one brand of track -- it will make it much easier later on for layout reliability.

The reason (in a nutshell) is that if you mix brands of track, you introduce new issues for layout long-term reliability. If pieces of rolling stock constantly derail at one section where two different brands of track join, is it the track or the rolling stock that is causing the issue? By using a single brand of track, you are eliminating this issue, and it makes it easier to fix.

Kind regards,

Richard Main
Melbourne, Australia

Mark Cartwright

Stacey....
I was getting my University Degrees (Behavioral Sciences) in the 1970's, while I was STRUGGLING with an N Scale John Armstrong Track Plan which took me 10 years to finally give up on. Yes, I am very familiar with your situation....and Model Railroading too.
In the 1970's, I went from the then Atlas Track to Shinohara...often spending my entire Lunch Money allocation for a month by walking home for lunch on School Days.
That is $25 for a single Shinohara Double Turnout....or upwards of 4 weeks of one dollar lunches and a coke at the Student Commissary in 1970's Money.
Only to discover Double Turnouts have other issues and Shinohara Turnouts also have issues.
Oops! and Oops! Again.
=====
What brought me back to the Hobby AFTER a 30 year Hiatus?
You Tube Videos of Kato Unitrack.
such as this one....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGh-gCssJ9k
=========
Though today...I solder and mix trackage and brands, even Hand-Crafting my own with Fast Track Jigs....
Please....
Stay away from any other Trackage OTHER than Kato Unitrack.
========
In these days...I am also Substitute Teaching....I see Run On Sentences often, even in our School Systems of Today.
My Job is to inch the students along as best as possible, and never be derogatory.
I make an exception about being derogatory when it comes to Bachmann.
So...
Go from Success to Success...and stay the Hell away from Bachmann.
Hope this message better guides you.
:)) Mark

==============================
I do own and operate Bachmann DCC with Sound in both N and HO Scale Locomotives....but it taint easy.
All my Bachmann has been reworked upwards to 100 hours on just a pair of Diesels with Other than Bachmann Decoders.  Steam and Two Truck Shays...OMG ! even more hours to make them work and work well.
>>> I will say the Bachmann Dynamis produced and contracted by ESU is a plausible DCC System but so is the Digitrax Zephyr...but I run on an ECoS.
Yet once again...I am urging you to stay with DC and perhaps a simple Kato or MRC Transformer.
=====
Here's the thing.....What is the true value of Bachmann?
> I purchased a $350 at MSRP HO Scale Bachmann Steam Locomotive with a LokSound Sound Decoder already re-installed and the entire locomotive gearing reworked for ...
$140 Cash Money
Then I got the guy to help me go fetch a 5x9 FREE N Scale Layout, some 14 miles away in his pick-up truck for $10 gas money.
Then I bought another equally reworked and re-decoded N Scale Bachmann Steam Locomotive for $125.
I have never and will never intentionally buy anything NEW which says Bachmann on it at least not at MSRP.
I get my Bachmann at it's true value...which is CHEAP,  even after being reworked. I paid $65 for my Dynamis.
PS...
I also speak and read German (which helps me with my ECoS) and gives me a proper perspective on DCC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2umTTPFfiiY
Once again.....
Here is Kato Unitrack (and the ECoS)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gRHV7te-NQ

I mean if you have to go DCC....Do it so it works !

PennsyNut

Stacey: 1>mixing track is possible, as others have said. Use the right joiners. 2 Yes, the same code. (but 75 is european proto, code 83 is American.) 3>If you refer to PECO electrofrogs. They are OK, but require special wiring. The w4dccqa web site has instructions and diagrams. 4>need clarification. But turnouts need to be powered separately from the layout. Use separate wiring, etc.
Keep asking questions, and try to be as clear as you can. I can speak for all in that "we are here to help".Morgan Bilbo, new to DCC

staceyatvt@...

yes thats 2 answers pennsynut answered
i will go with all peco code #83 no mixing
yes that is what i try explain but yes  i want to do is keep turnouts separtly from layouts
pennsynut is that a controll or direction box to use for the turnouts  like peco has switch machines
like bachmann has direction switch boxs  type a and type b

staceyatvt@...

oh i forgot  to ask dose peco or site that list all there pruducts for usa
i hate to buy something i cant use because its not usa lol

PennsyNut

PECO is made in the U.K./British. ME is made in the U.S. But I found ME harder to work with. PECO is a quality product that IMHO is the better of what's available here in the U.S. The code 83 is pretty darn good and I like it. As for turnouts. If you don't run 0-4-0 steam engines, and/or all diesel, the Insulfrog is good. The Electrofrog is good too, but requires wiring. Of course, if you use a machine to operate the turnout, that will require wiring. And Electrofrog would be worth using. But if no machines, and you only hand throw, the Insulfrog is easier to install. I use NO wiring whatsoever on my Insulfrogs and point feed. Do check out PECO's web site. They have good info on their turnouts. Also, some YouTube videos are helpful. Go ahead and ask questions. That's what we are all here for. To help.
Morgan Bilbo, new to DCC