Topics

going from bachmann to Hell and Back.

Mark Cartwright

Sending Back to Bachmann...
Over and Over Again...Expecting a Different Result..is my definition of Insanity in Model Railroading.
Yet it is done all the time.
Not Me...

I purchased several N Scale Athearn/Roundhouse 2-6-0's/2-8-0's via eBay on the cheap
http://spookshow.net/loco/mdc280.html
http://spookshow.net/loco/mdc260.html

For around $20-$30 each and even put DCC in a few of them.
AFTER !?!?!?

I spend upwards of 12 hours on each one...CORRECTING Manufacturing Issues missed during fit and finish assembly.
I believe these specific locomotives had been sent back to Athearn and then unloaded on eBay.
Even the good folks at Athearn USA won't actually work on them....Walther's does the same...and I have no idea what Bachmann actually does.
But I don't care....
Good !
No problem for me...I would rather buy cheap and fix it myself  = than buy expensive and then be disappointed.
You can't expect a fish to climb a tree....- Albert
The name of my Cat who often looks over me as I work at my Roll Top Desk.
When i get up..to take any sort of break...I roll the top down...For Albert sometimes thinks he can fix it better than me !
Perhaps he does as it crashes to the floor.....
Thank you Albert...I have been wanting to smash that thing against the floor for many a past hour.
However....
Eventually correcting as many as 20 separate issues per locomotive...YES ! I can get nearly any locomotive to work and run well.
Bachmann?
Not me...Instead, I have been fortunate enough to have a Neighbor who burned himself out on the Hobby...I believe cause of Bachmann and his Dusty Garage.
Again I got my Bachman Cheap ...
Which includes...

Yes, the Bachmann Two Truck Shay.
Mine Works...but i believe it needed all new NWSL Gearing to complete it's journey.

Not all Spectrum is created equally yet all of it needs some tweaking.
:)) Mark

PennsyNut

Oh my gosh! I've heard of this all my life, and yet - Botchman still is in business. Someone tell me how they do that? But if you want a specific prototype, you must spend more money. At least we don't have to buy brass. There's some good locos for sale.
Morgan Bilbo, new to DCC

Richard Gagnon

I have Bachmann with on board sound and DCC ready that I have added sound to. There will always be naysayers.

Rich

On Saturday, April 27, 2019, 12:37 PM, PennsyNut <pennsynut@...> wrote:

Oh my gosh! I've heard of this all my life, and yet - Botchman still is in business. Someone tell me how they do that? But if you want a specific prototype, you must spend more money. At least we don't have to buy brass. There's some good locos for sale.
Morgan Bilbo, new to DCC

Puckdropper

How does Bachmann keep going? From the standpoint of a guy who fixes trains:
* Parts are often available and available through their website.
* Absolutely fantastic support. Laura Harris understands your questions, reads your whole email, and replies within a few days.
* Fantastic parts department. I had a question that fit in both the parts and customer service domains, emailed parts first and they answered their part and forwarded the email to customer service so they could address it.
* Their locomotives usually run decent. You're not going to get Kato performance in every box, but you'll get something that runs every time.
* Best warranty / Service plan in the business, short of "We'll just fix it.". $25 will get even an old locomotove repaired or replaced. (See website for details.)

I'm not affiliated with Bachmann, just an extremely satisfied customer.

Puckdropper