From: "Alan Cushing ascushing@... [WiringForDCC]"
Sent: Feb 20, 2018 10:11 PM
To: WiringForDCC@...
Subject: [WiringForDCC] Re: Converting a brass E-60 2-8-0 to DCC

Well, by converting to DCC, you have the chance to put a Keep Alive circuit in there so the loco will be capable of coasting a distance when hitting a dead spot.

   ASC

monty cunningham

I have successfully used TCS Keep Alives with Soundtraxx decoders numerous times.  The Keep Alives worked well with the Soundtraxx decoders.  There is a diagram (which I can dig up if anyone is interested) floating around on the net showing how to wire them to soundtraxx.  I haven't done t in quite some time as I have been using TCS decoders.  They (TCS decoders) seem to have be tter slow speed control.
Monty

Mark Gurries

Adding Keep Alive’s to any decoder is well documented.

On Feb 21, 2018, at 2:58 PM, Glenn ghazel@... [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:

The TCS KA-series of "Keep-Alive" devices is intended to be used with TCS decoders. Publicity info infers they can be used with any decoder. They must be wired internally to the decoder, not to the external wires.

The KA's have a blue wire and a black/white stripe. I purchased a KA-2. I had to email TCS, they responded with instructions on where to solder these wires inside a decoder.

The -C designation defines Keep-Alives ready to be plugged into KA ready decoders.

Glenn

Well, by converting to DCC, you have the chance to put a Keep Alive circuit in there so the loco will be capable of coasting a distance when hitting a dead spot.

   ASC

Best Regards,

Mark Gurries
Electrical Engineer

Michael Sherbak

Are there any ‘how-to’ info out on the web to make ‘scratch-built’ KA’s ?

Michael Sherbak