Topics

Frustration with DCC

brianmulligan3@...

Locos all runaways when I programme them with Lenz LV 100 - fail to respond to speed controls. Either express or nothing. Tried to fix with dynamis - straight to express - any help - are all the decoders wrecked?

wirefordcc

Do you have both a Dynamis and a Lenz system?  I'd focus on getting one system or the other working.  I take it you have never had either system working properly.  I can't say that I have a lot of experience with either.

I can say that it sounds like you have locomotives that are capable  of operating either DCC or DC.  It also sounds like you are not getting DCC power to your track.  When you don't have DCC on the track, a locomotive that can also run on DC will take off at full speed.  This is what it sounds like is happening to you.

Someone with experience with either system will need to help get it working properly. Finally, I don't think your decoders are damaged.  I would go into CV29 of each loco and disable the DC mode.  They won't run on DC when you do this, but they also won't take off at full speed on a DCC layout.

Allan Gartner
Wiring for DCC

thomasmclae

I think LENZ has a programming track. Make sure you are programming each Lok on the programming track.
We used to do programming on the main with our club layout. Then one user accidently did program on the main in Blast mode. ALL Loks on the layout at the time were programmed the same address. Took some time to clean up!
We now have a separate programming station. Separate table. NO connection to the layout.

And there are programming features you need to be aware of when programming. Most new sound decoders are using 'indexed' cvs to manage the thousands of CVs. You need something like JMRI (or Lokprogrammer) to be sure you are programming the feature you expect, not some random wrong CV.  (Set CV31, set CV32, then read/write CV2xx)

It does make a difference what decoder brand and make you are programming. Please include that information.

And like Alan said in his post, turn off DC detection in CV29. WE had that issue too, Loks would start, stop, start, stop,.... the DCC system would confuse some decoders, and those loks were flipping between DC and DCC running.

Thomas
DeSoto, TX

Bill Wilken

To diagnose your problem, eliminate as many variables as possible.
First, use your DCC system to do a complete reset of your decoders,
presumptively on a programming track. Check your documentation to
verify how to do this to each loco and your DCC system. Second, hook
up your DCC controller to a short piece of test track. If just one
loco were running away, I would suspect that something is wrong with
the decoder ... that has happened to me. But if all are running away,
it is almost certain that you are not programming the locos properly.

On Tue, 2020-09-29 at 00:53 -0700, brianmulligan3@... wrote:
Locos all runaways when I programme them with Lenz LV 100 - fail to
respond to speed controls. Either express or nothing. Tried to fix
with dynamis - straight to express - any help - are all the decoders
wrecked?

brianmulligan3@...

Thanks for reply - Dynamis worked for a bit then problem above so I bought a lenz which worked for a bit then same issue. I need to get someone to reset the decoders to factory for me I think.