Topics

Forgive my ignorance! Am I creating several reverse loops on my proposed layout?

Tom G.

Brian,

I’m missing your point.

Thanks.
Tom

On Mar 4, 2019, at 6:45 AM, Brian Lewis <brian@...> wrote:

There is certainly a better way. It called 'Attachments'.......

I can scarcely believe that, in 2019, there are still elists  that do not allow them. Why is that pray?

On 04/03/2019 09:34, whmvd wrote:

--

Regards and thanks

Brian Lewis

Don Vollrath

Tom,
Although there is a lot of loopy track that yields the appearance of bi-directional travel, I see only one actual polarity reversing problem section... Plus the turntable itself. It is the 'inside' loop of Red track running around the roundhouse near bottom left of the drawing. Easily solved with an auto-reverser with double isolating gaps at 1) the last turnout leading into the red loop around the roundhouse, and 2) each of the 2 Red staging tracks to the left of the roundhouse and the connecting Blue return line toward the top of the layout. Gap both rails at the frog end of those respective turnouts and wire that whole loop, including those 2 turnouts, through an auto-reverser. Be careful to ensure that you wire up all other double-track areas using the same Right-Left / North-South polarity convention so as to avoid polarity shorting issues at places where there are cross-overs despite which direction the trains will actually be moving. [With DCC forward is always forward.] If there is another path to actually cause a train to reverse directions on a previously traveled section, I don't see it..
However, I agree with Mark C. that the layout looks to be very tight with way too many short radius curves and steep grades.

DonV

whmvd

Don,

There's a lot of peering involved at detail really too small to properly see everything, but I'm quite convinced there's a reversing section on the richt-hand side as well. The small single-track piece between the two turnouts creates a nice short as it is.

I've only seen version 1 of the left hand side, and apart from the red part and the turntable, there was another reversing section involving most of the yard. Either that, or I fell into the too-little-detail trap, or in V2 it was changed.

Wouter

Wouter

On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 at 02:59, Don Vollrath <donevol43@...> wrote:
[...]

Wouter, I'm assuming that there are no crossover attachments between tracks except where there is an indicated turnout. [Exception - there is a 30 degree X in the tracks near the turntable.] All other 'intersections' in the sketch are at different vertical levels with no actual connections between tracks. I don't see any path selections that actually reverse the direction of train travel except for that one loop around the roundhouse. Putting insulating joiners or gaps at the three tracks leading upwards from that loop isolates them from the actual reversing loop. Complete the isolation of the loop at the first turnout going towards upper right.

DonV

Tom G.

whmvd

HiTom,

You won't regret those changes. That's a lot more reasonable while still giving you lots of options. Like it!
Wouter

On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 at 03:31, Tom G. via Groups.Io <tjg81296=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Made a few updates. Thanks all for the advice.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oqbriyxcawabj5t/SCARM%20-%20playroomScarm_v30.pdf?dl=0

Mark Cartwright

Better....
Tom,

Run some of the Green Track...while also making an attempt to run the Roundtable.
On the way to doing this...
Consider some Structures and Scenery as well as spacing.
I expect a few more epiphanies along the way.
Mark

Don Vollrath

As updated there are no reversing loops except for the turntable itself.
DonV

Tom G.

Hi Don,

Are the turntables always in need of an auto reverser by default?

Thanks,
Tom