File /DA&W Golden Yard.pdf uploaded #file-notice

w4dccqa@groups.io Notification <noreply@...>

The following files have been uploaded to the Files area of the w4dccqa@groups.io group.

By: Don Weigt <dweigt47@...>

Diagram showing the routing options through my yard for through trains. T6 is used most for routing eastbound trains to staging and reversing, but T7 or T3 could be used if Block 4 is occupied. There is no one turnout that could properly control "polarity" of the reversing tracks which are only blocks 0 and 1. Blocks 0 and 1 each are about 27 feet long. Also there is approximately 15 feet of track between T6 and T1, and 20 feet between T6 and T0, so trains may be crossing T6 while others cross into or out of Blocks 0 and 1.

Don Vollrath

Don W... as I said earlier... provide an AR controllers for tracks 0 and 1. Wire everything else to constant polarity to match the mainline. Note that the TT polarity must change when leaning E-bound vs W-bound to match the mainline. Everything else is just fwd/rev from your throttle.

Is there another question here?

DonV

Don Weigt

DonV and group,

No, there's not another question here.

Running trains with DC, I left the two reversing blocks Block0 and Block1 (with both ends connected to the east end of other blocks) polarity and direction fixed, and reversed main line polarity (eastbound/westbound) while the trains were completely in the reversing blocks.

There being no need to switch mainline "polarity" with DCC, I kept the mainline polarity fixed and reversed the polarity of the two "reversing blocks" instead. That's what I intend autoreversing to do.

The purpose of this conversation was to illustrate that there are some trackplans where the position of the points on one turnout isn't a good indicator of or control for the correct polarity of the reversing block(s). On my track plan, turnout T6 is normally used to route trains through the reversing blocks. But, if Block4 is occupied, turnout T7 or T3 could do that. So, there's no single turnout that can always be used.

Don Weigt
Connecticut

--
Don Weigt
Connecticut

Don Weigt

For anyone following along, I just received four CVP Products EasyDCC Dual Zone boosters to use with my 22 year old! EasyDCC Command Station I built from a kit. These boosters each handle 7 Amps at 15V or more, and have an auto-reverse option on one output. I've replaced the 20 year old "temporary" 4 amp homebrew booster that has powered my railroad since 1999 with one of these new boosters. The two reversing blocks at the east end of Golden Yard are connected to the auto-reverse enabled A output, the rest of the layout (incomplete, under reconstruction) is powered by the fixed phase ("polarity") B output.

My wiring is not finalized, some connections are with wire nuts and even a few clipleads. Auto-reversing didn't work properly until I set the sensitivity to a low current value, about 1.5 Amps, but now it works fine. I've even alternated the position of my manual polarity control, running a loco back and forth over the gaps at one end of the reversing blocks. There is no perceptible delay, no blink of the lights, no beep of the short circuit beeper or flash of the booster's short circuit LEDs: the train just runs! I am really enjoying not having to worry about that control, and look forward to removing it from my layout's control panel.
--
Don Weigt
Connecticut

Don Vollrath

Way to go! You really are a do-it-your-selfer.

DonV

Don Weigt

Thanks, DonV.

I didn't like the design of the early EasyDCC booster, and as an analog electrical engineer, I could and did make my own, more like CVP Products' new boosters. But, the parts count was high, I didn't make a circuit board design for it, and the thought of hand wiring two or three more on perf board wasn't appealing. So, I decided it was worth buying new ones from CVP Products, along with the universal switching supplies they sell to power them, and use my hobby time on other projects.

Don Weigt
Connecticut

--
Don Weigt