Topics

Double pole switch of Single pole?

monty cunningham

I have wired a decoder to the motor on the turntable.  It has an assigned address and I control it like it were a locomotive.  The decoder/turntable is wired directly to the wiring harness that the roundhouse complex is wired to.  I would like to make roundhouse track a programming track.  To keep from programming the turntable decoder would I have disconnect both wires using a double pole or could just disconnect one wire using single pole switch?
Thanks
Monty

John Bishop

Based on advice from others, I have used a double throw. Don't forget you need an isolating section before the programming track, that has power turned off when you have the programming track on.  This prevents a loco from connecting the programming track to the other tracks, which would fry the DCC.

I used this circuit.

On Monday, April 27, 2020, 01:05:09 PM PDT, monty cunningham <lamont7777@...> wrote:

I have wired a decoder to the motor on the turntable.  It has an assigned address and I control it like it were a locomotive.  The decoder/turntable is wired directly to the wiring harness that the roundhouse complex is wired to.  I would like to make roundhouse track a programming track.  To keep from programming the turntable decoder would I have disconnect both wires using a double pole or could just disconnect one wire using single pole switch?
Thanks
Monty

wirefordcc

Hi Monty,

Groups.IO was doing maintenance in the middle of my reply.  Here I go again:

You only need a single-pole, single-throw switch (SPST) to disconnect your turntable decoder.  You can interrupt either the red or black wire leading to your decoder.

If you plan to use your programming track as a normal track sometimes, see my website at:  http://www.wiringfordcc.com/track_2.htm#d2

If you are using a system that has separate programming and main track outputs, you don’t need to disconnect your turntable decoder.

If you are using a NCE Power Cab, which does not have a separate programming output, you can use their Auto-Sw, SKU# 5240226, it will separate the programming signal from the main track power.

If you are using a system that doesn’t have separate programming outputs and you are not using the Auto-Sw, have you thought about how you will avoid programming the rest of your layout?

Allan Gartner

Wiring For DCC

Tim

What John described is basically the circuit I use, but I don't have the indicator light on it.

The dead section should include a short section of all the turntable leads. Another thing, people tent to buy turntables that are just long enough to hold the longest steam loco that they have. The feedback involves bumping the motor, so the loco might move a bit when reading CVs. I think it's better for the programming track to be significantly longer than the loco so it doesn't inadvertently run onto the dead section. It might be better to choose another track for this.

Tim Rumph
Lancaster, SC

John Bishop

Tim & all,

I  also have not got the indicator light, although I do have the wires for it coming off the toggle.

 What I have thought would be fun would be to put a dwarf signal by the track with only a red bulb that is on when the programming track is set for programming. But is there a dwarf signal available for O scale?

John