Digikeijs DR5000 DCC Command Station, Power Supply & WiFi Throttle ~ Starter Set

bernard steinbacher <b55go@...>

Can anyone comment on this DCC System ? Digikeijs DR5000
and there likes or dislikes ?Thanks

Keith Elrod

I have the Digikeijs DR5000 and am very happy with it. It is very intuitive with an on-screen app that matches the unit itself. You click on the different sections of the unit (on-screen) and they are activated. There are quite a lot of functions and capabilities that this system has, but I use it in it's simplest form. I simply run a data cable from the DR5000 to a data splitter (DR5097), which then has data cables running to my four power district booster/circuit breakers (DR5033). I have wires from the DR5000 going to a programing track and I have a Digitrax UR92 plugged into  the "T" Loconet buss, allowing Digitrax throttles to be used with the system.

I use the Rocco WLANmaus Z21 throttles which are fantastic and very reasonably priced. A large thumb-type speed knob (with a center off position) makes them very easy to use with one hand and not even have to be looking at them. These throttles can throw switches and can program them as well. After programing your Locos into them it is very easy to scroll through them and change control of Locos with no dispatching required.

The system works well with Decoder Pro as well and, therefore, can support mobile devices (Iphone & Android).

There are many more advanced modules that this system has to offer, but, like I said, I use it in it's simplest form described above, There is also a Digikeijs forum just like this one. It is run by Dennis Cherry, who is extremely knowledgeable about this system. Ryan Matthews (Iron Planet Hobbies) is the sole distributer in the US for Digikeijs and he is great o work with in solving any issues. He has some great videos about the stems, so I would start there.

I give it a big Thumbs up and I believe you will (and are) seeing more and more people go with this system.

Keith Elrod

Alexander Wood

I have the DR5000, and it's a good little system. It's got LocoNet, XPressNet, S88, and Z21 support, built-in USB, Ethernet, and Wi-Fi interfaces, and it's quite attractively priced. The Windows application makes setup easy, no more manually setting OpSw this or that, it's just point and click, and it can interface to JMRI via USB with the LocoNet protocol as if it were a DCS100. It's got a good programming track that seems to work well with pretty much everything that I've thrown at it. It will work with Digitrax throttles, now including Simplex, they require a slight tweak to the settings. I tested this functionality for Ryan, as I have one of each model of Simplex throttle ever made.

The variety of throttle options is HUGE. You can use Digitrax, Lenz, CVP v4 (via XpressNet), Roco Z21, ESU MCII via WiThrottle, TCS UWT via WiThrottle, and the ProtoThrottle either via WiThrottle and XPressNet. They are going to be coming out with a LocoNet to NCE converter, the DK50215, which will also allow for NCE cabs to be used.

As for the negatives, FREMO in Europe has tested it, and it has stability issues on very large modular setups, so they use custom command stations or the Roco Z21 system, which is stable under heavy load. You cannot mix Digikeijs and Digitrax boosters, as the Digikeijs boosters seem to be using LocoNet as their booster common, and are not opto-isolated, which is bad practice, but works on small layouts with the boosters close to the command station, or you can use the built-in 3A DCC output on the DR5000 for accessories only and hook up a large system with Digitrax, NCE, Lenz, etc boosters. The design of the system seems to be based on decade-old technology, but that is compared to 25+ year old technology that underpins Digitrax, NCE, Lenz, CVP, and MRC systems. Only the ESU, Roco, and TCS systems seem to have somewhat more modern designs, but with higher pricetags.

I haven't played around with their accessory modules, they look to be good depending on the application. They are set up more for European systems with 3A of current running through the detectors, and the switch decoders set up for twin-coil machines or MP1 motors, as opposed to the Tortoise switch machines more common in the US.

For the price and functionality, I would recommend the DR5000 as one of my top DCC system picks in North America alongside TCS, ESU, Roco, and the Digitrax Zephyr. I'm quite happy with mine, and I plan to continue using it for the foreseeable future as I am today with a Digitrax booster providing track power, and JMRI handling WiThrottle for TCS UWTs and the ProtoThrottle. The DR5000 is an incredible value, offering a fully-featured modern DCC system for a bit over $200 US, with a good programming track and USB interface built into the system.

Alex

--

Alexander Wood

Hartford-New Haven, CT

Modeling the modern era freelanced G&W Connecticut Northern in HO

Digikeijs DR5000 - JMRI - ProtoThrottle - TCS UWT-100 - TCS UWT-50p - Digitrax Simplex