Topics

Differentiating bus wires?

David McBrayer

Jerry,
Having multiple computers storing the File is a decent way to prevent loss of data.  My mind jumped to loss of sync between them at some point down the road.  Do you revise the displayed version date with each update?  That way you could also have a history of updates should you desire.

—Dave McBrayer

On Mar 8, 2020, at 09:16, Jerry Michels <gjmichels53@...> wrote:

John wrote: Jerry,
Just don't throw out the documentation after you label your wiring. Keep it and keep it updated.

You bet.  We have all the documentation in an Excel file and stored on multiple computers.  I routinely print it out and post it on our corkboard at the control center.
Jerry Michels
Amarillo Railroad Museum

--
Dave McBrayer
Castro Valley, CA

Carl

Hi Gang:

Perhaps if you added a column for revision notes and the date changes were made. Also in Excel you can have a cell with today's date that will print.

Carl.

On 3/8/2020 1:46 PM, David McBrayer wrote:
[...]

Hi Dave,  Each time I do an update, I save the file with a date, for example, DCC Main Wiring 2020-01-27.xlsx. So that takes care of having previous version available.  I am a geek on this type of documentation.  In addition to the backups on various computers here in Amarillo, the files are backed up in the cloud.  I think we are rock solid. We also do this with things like our rolling stock and locomotive rosters, photos, and correspondence.

Jerry Michels
Amarillo Railroad Museum

David McBrayer

Jerry,
Great meeting another Doc’s geek.

Dave

On Mar 9, 2020, at 06:54, Jerry Michels <gjmichels53@...> wrote:

Hi Dave,  Each time I do an update, I save the file with a date, for example, DCC Main Wiring 2020-01-27.xlsx. So that takes care of having previous version available.  I am a geek on this type of documentation.  In addition to the backups on various computers here in Amarillo, the files are backed up in the cloud.  I think we are rock solid. We also do this with things like our rolling stock and locomotive rosters, photos, and correspondence.

Jerry Michels
Amarillo Railroad Museum

--
Dave McBrayer
Castro Valley, CA

whmvd

Same here. Also love the naming convention that automatically allows for sorting in date order. I've done it like that for decades, but hardly ever see it elsewhere.

Wouter

On Mon, 9 Mar 2020 at 14:48, David McBrayer <d_mcbrayer@...> wrote:
Jerry,
Great meeting another Doc’s geek.

Dave

On Mar 9, 2020, at 06:54, Jerry Michels <gjmichels53@...> wrote:

Hi Dave,  Each time I do an update, I save the file with a date, for example, DCC Main Wiring 2020-01-27.xlsx. So that takes care of having previous version available.  I am a geek on this type of documentation.  In addition to the backups on various computers here in Amarillo, the files are backed up in the cloud.  I think we are rock solid. We also do this with things like our rolling stock and locomotive rosters, photos, and correspondence.

Jerry Michels
Amarillo Railroad Museum

--
Dave McBrayer
Castro Valley, CA

General

I don't know if this would apply but if the wire insulation is white, buy a set of permanent magic markers, cut a slot in the end of whichever color marker you want to use and slide the marker on the wire repeatedly until the wire is colored.

Jerry Michels

Sure, using a magic marker to put a color stripe on white wires would work fine.  Jerry Michels