Topics

DCS210 programming track

Lloyd

It appears there is no power to my programming track, right from the Command station.
I also get an error with JMRI, 310 No Locomotive Detected, on programming and main tracks. JMRI says this error is cause by the command station.
Is my DCS210 broken? It's brand new and I really don't want to send it away for months.

vincent marino

programming tracks can be tricky to wire. Make sure you have insulators at each end of the programing track. Make sure you are using a double throw switch. This advice assumes your programming track is incorporated in your layout.

Sincerely,
Vincent Marino
Vincent Marino
Project Manager
904-260-7663 office/cell

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message and all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any manner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately.

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 10:25 AM Lloyd <brolloy@...> wrote:
It appears there is no power to my programming track, right from the Command station.
I also get an error with JMRI, 310 No Locomotive Detected, on programming and main tracks. JMRI says this error is cause by the command station.
Is my DCS210 broken? It's brand new and I really don't want to send it away for months.

Dale Gloer

The programming track only has power on it when the command station is writing a CV, otherwise it is unpowered.

You cannot read back CV on the main track, Programming on the Main track is write only.

No locomotive detected can be caused by a few things.
Does the loco run?  If  not, it probably is an electrical contact issue in the loco.
Are the JMRI defaults correct in preferences?  Be sure the programmer is set to the Loconet connection.
Are you connections to the programming track okay?  A broken wire or something else can cause this error.
What type of decoder is in the loco?  Some can be difficult to read CVs from.  Remember that when writing a CV on the programming track , the command station expects a response, just a trying to read a CV does.

Dale Gloer

wirefordcc

Programming tracks do not typically have power on them except for the brief amount of time that it is actually programming.  I don't think your DCS210 is broken.

Put a known good loco on your programming track and using your throttle (not JMRI), go into programming mode on the programming track, and have it read a CV.  If it works fine, your DCS210 is okay.

Some locos you can buy can't be programmed on the programming track.  So if at first you fail, try another loco with a decoder that is made by someone else.

Allan Gartner
Wiring for DCC

Lloyd

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely try them.
The track is separate from the layout.
Continuity of the wiring is all good, but I am showing no power from the DCS210, that's what had me thinking it might be the unit. Well that and the connection to the power supply is very finicky, the unit has to be set just right and the slightest nudge will knock out the power.

Lloyd Brown