Topics

DCC Wiring

Bob Smith <bobcindy.johndeere@...>

Hi
Just found this site and need a few questions answered if possable?
I am in the process of building my first layout.
The Gulf Summit Lines & Susquehanna, Layout N-18 in the Atlas Nine
N Scale Railroads Book #7.
I have all the benchwork complete,the track has been layed out
positioned tacked down marked removed and am in the process of laying
the roadbed down.
As you may have guessed I was completely new to this when I started
into it, having purchased a starter set from a Department Store picked
a layout out of a book and started building it with the listed Atlas
code 80 Snap Track and Code 80 Turnouts!
Then as I started reading more about the Hobby!
I have learned of things like Flex-Track, DCC Control, ect!
So this is where my questions start?
I decided to go with DCC Control and am looking at an Prodigy Advanced
System, Has anyone had any frist hand experiance with this unit?
Is it a good choice?
Micro Mark has it on Sale for under $200 dollors right now and it seems
to offer good features.
My next question is about the Atlas Code 80 Switches, can these be used
in a DCC System? I have a total of 22 of them in this layout! which
represents a very large investment so I'm hoping they will be
compatable!
Well as this has become rather long already so stop here for now.
Thanks in advance and any help will be greatly appreciated.
Bob Smith Somerville Ohio

John M. Wallis <jwallis@...>

Hi Bob:

Since you are in N scale you should seriously consider the Digitrax system
for your DCC. Over 87% of N scale clubs use Digitrax, which makes it
essentially the de-facto standard for N scale. You can purchase a Digitrax
Zephyr system for $160 from Tony's Train Exchange with similar prices form
other mail order dealers such as Loy's Toys and Charleston Digital Trains.

The Zephyr will easily handle your needs on the N18 layout. It is also
fully expandable and can handle turnouts, etc.

Regards,

John Wallis

_____

[...]

http://www.WiringForDCC.com

Lionel
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Lionel+model+train&w1=Lionel+model+trai
n&w2=European+model+trains&w3=Model+railroads&w4=Ho+scale+model+train&w5=Ho+
model+trains&w6=Model+train+n+scale&c=6&s=144&.sig=Q4cr6U-zGemRe8EQUFQlPQ>
model train

European
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=European+model+trains&w1=Lionel+model+t
rain&w2=European+model+trains&w3=Model+railroads&w4=Ho+scale+model+train&w5=
Ho+model+trains&w6=Model+train+n+scale&c=6&s=144&.sig=-NycJ4EIFmDQwwGa6RMeVg
model trains
Model
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Model+railroads&w1=Lionel+model+train&w
2=European+model+trains&w3=Model+railroads&w4=Ho+scale+model+train&w5=Ho+mod
el+trains&w6=Model+train+n+scale&c=6&s=144&.sig=ku-dRGggvRswc4r8TN60pw>
railroads

Ho
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ho+scale+model+train&w1=Lionel+model+tr
ain&w2=European+model+trains&w3=Model+railroads&w4=Ho+scale+model+train&w5=H
o+model+trains&w6=Model+train+n+scale&c=6&s=144&.sig=zqWJO20-wkw-fGo-S1gEtg>
scale model train

Ho
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ho+model+trains&w1=Lionel+model+train&w
2=European+model+trains&w3=Model+railroads&w4=Ho+scale+model+train&w5=Ho+mod
el+trains&w6=Model+train+n+scale&c=6&s=144&.sig=dbgW83_j6VbrrQyjXecJlg>
model trains

Model
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Model+train+n+scale&w1=Lionel+model+tra
in&w2=European+model+trains&w3=Model+railroads&w4=Ho+scale+model+train&w5=Ho
+model+trains&w6=Model+train+n+scale&c=6&s=144&.sig=2hMPyh1Vmfu5sQO3JYgtxw>
train n scale

_____

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

* Visit your group "WiringForDCC
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WiringForDCC> " on the web.

_____

Bob Smith <bobcindy.johndeere@...>

--- In WiringForDCC@..., "John M. Wallis" <jwallis@n...>
wrote:
Hi John
I have looked at the Digitrax system, I guess my biggest thing with
it is the limited functions it supports (basic set) and I hate the
thought of having to keep upgrading to just get to the level I am
going to need.
On top of controling the engines I have 22 switches that I would
like to control, so I think I would like to start a step ahead of
Basic, I dont know maybe I'm trying walk here before I can crawl?
Here's a question? (showing my lack of DCC knowledge here) If I
started with a Basic Set with limited functions could I control my
switches (Ihave 22 of them) with the slide switches like in block
wiring?
And again dose anyone know if Atlas Code 80 Switches are compatable
with DCC?
Thanks John for your suggestions you have given me food for thought!
I think I will take another look at Digitrax and do a little more
cost research into this system.
Thanks again Bob Smith

[...]

subject=Unsubscribe>

_____

Earl T. Hackett <hackete1@...>

I remain very confused as to why it is such a good idea to control switches with the DCC system. With the total freedom to walk around the layout with wireless controllers I have found simple manual throws to be far superior to any electrical or electronic contraption I could imagine. Maybe someone can explain why they view this form of switch control to be so attractive.

On top of controling the engines I have 22 switches that I would
like to control,

jerryglow2

I agree with one possible exception: the ability to set up a route
with macros. I use NCE SwitchIts to control my Tortoise machines for
the lower level of the layout which will be hidden so you can set up a
desired track with a single command. I will use more conventional
toggle switches to control the Tortoi on the upper/visible level.

Jerry Glow

--- In WiringForDCC@..., "Earl T. Hackett" <hackete1@c...>
wrote:

I remain very confused as to why it is such a good idea to control
switches with the DCC system. With the total freedom to walk around
the layout with wireless controllers I have found simple manual throws
to be far superior to any electrical or electronic contraption I could
imagine. Maybe someone can explain why they view this form of switch
control to be so attractive.

Bob Smith <bobcindy.johndeere@...>

--- In WiringForDCC@..., "Earl T. Hackett"
<hackete1@c...> wrote:
Earl
I understand what your saying, and it would be cheaper to use all
manual switches, But if the Bells and Whistles are there why not use
them? and constantly reaching into your Railroad can cause damage to
scenery, Not everyone is as careful or gentel as the owner! (You got
grandkids?)And I guess for me the biggest reason would be I leave
the house at 5 in the morning and get home at 8 in the evening and
except for a half hour for lunch and the ride to and from work I'm
on my feet and moving! and I do this 6 days a week! So sometimes I
like to just sit on my butt and watch things go round and round!
But on the other hand those replica ground throw are pretty cool!
Bob