Topics

DCC voltage on track

Tom Anderson

I am trying to trouble shoot what appears to be some wiring problems with my new layout.
I am using a Digitrax DCS-210 with a PM42. I have 4 sections wired. Also, have 4 6 port Frog Juicers connected.

Basically, the train runs just fine on the 2 main lines but stalls when trying to enter a siding off the main line.

In trying to fix this problem, I tried to read the track voltage with my multimeter. I am getting no voltage on any of the tracks. I checked the multimeter on other isolated AC sources and it reads just fine.

So what am I missing here? Stumped. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Tom Anderson

vincent marino

My brother I was faced with the same situation a while back. Let tell you what it was on my layout. You can go through the same check list as I used and you might find your problem before the end of the list.

1) make sure all the track joiners are either tight or soldered or both.

2) make sure the power district with the problem has no shorts, no criscrossed track leads to the power bus, all connections are tight.

3) finally, this is what was wrong with mine. The turnout leading to the power district with the problem, make sure the locomotives are crossing over the turnout without shorting the frog or the frog alignment assist. Especially if your using a consist. Wasn't until I started syncing the locos using JMRI. It put the consist in a smooth pulling motion which eliminated the push/pull of the middle and rear locos over the turnout. Thus no more shorts from power district to power district.

Hope that helped.

On Sat, Feb 16, 2019, 4:37 PM Tom Anderson <tanderson@... wrote:
I am trying to trouble shoot what appears to be some wiring problems with my new layout.
I am using a Digitrax DCS-210 with a PM42. I have 4 sections wired. Also, have 4 6 port Frog Juicers connected.

Basically, the train runs just fine on the 2 main lines but stalls when trying to enter a siding off the main line.

In trying to fix this problem, I tried to read the track voltage with my multimeter. I am getting no voltage on any of the tracks. I checked the multimeter on other isolated AC sources and it reads just fine.

So what am I missing here? Stumped. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Tom Anderson

AD

Do you power your tracks on the other side of the switch or do you depend on power being sent to sidings thru the switch

Tony

On Feb 16, 2019, at 4:06 PM, Tom Anderson <tanderson@...> wrote:

I am trying to trouble shoot what appears to be some wiring problems with my new layout.
I am using a Digitrax DCS-210 with a PM42. I have 4 sections wired. Also, have 4 6 port Frog Juicers connected.

Basically, the train runs just fine on the 2 main lines but stalls when trying to enter a siding off the main line.

In trying to fix this problem, I tried to read the track voltage with my multimeter. I am getting no voltage on any of the tracks. I checked the multimeter on other isolated AC sources and it reads just fine.

So what am I missing here? Stumped. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Tom Anderson

vincent marino

That's a good question. I had the foresight to put all the turnouts (14 of them) on one power district. My shorts we're isolated to that district. Specifically I track powered each turnout, occasionally because of proximity 2 turnouts shared a powered rail joiner. All my frogs are powered and frankly that was the issue until I synced the engines.

On Sat, Feb 16, 2019, 6:23 PM AD <bklyns_baseball_club@... wrote:
[...]

OK, I am beginning to isolate the problem. I disconnected the suspect power district from the PM42 and now I get a voltage reading on the remaining 3 (11.6 volts).

So, tomorrow I begin the search for the problem.

Just FYI, all switches are Peco Electrofrog and the switches do no power routing.

Thanks to all for the assist.

Tom

Tom Anderson

Business Information Systems, Inc.

P.O. Box 160396

Boiling Springs, SC  29316

(864) 621-8607

[...]

John Johnston <towboatjohnston@...>

Tom,
I will be fascinated to hear what you learn. I am in the process of wiring a similar scheme with Peco electrofrogs, 3 frog Juicers and an AR-1 that reverses a balloon track (N-scale code 55). Haven’t tested the branches yet.

 I see you are in Boiling Springs. I’m in Seneca. If you get stuck we have some smart people at the Central Railroad Museum who might be able to help. Hope you made it to our big Expo in Easley last weekend.

Good luck!

John Johnston
(713) 240-1687
Sent from iPhone via gmail

On Feb 16, 2019, at 6:53 PM, Tom Anderson <tanderson@...> wrote:

[...]

Carl

Hello Tom:

You are following the scheme I like to use: Divide and Conquer.

Now you know where the problem isn't. Look for shorts in the problem district. Can you clear the fault by moving points?

I have a buzzer with a battery that I use a lot.

Carl.