Topics

DCC <- DPDT -> DC

David <frazeedg@...>

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and have a coup-le of questions which I will
submit serparately.

Is it possible to bring the DCC track leads to one side of a DPDT
switch and DC to teh other side so that if friends come over to run and
bring their DC engines they can run with the flip of a few switches?

Thanks

David
frazeedg@...

jerryglow2

One big problem is with reversing loops. RVCs (reverse loop
controlers) don't like DC. However lacking any, that is essentially
what many do when converting over to DCC - throw all block selectors
to the one on which the DCC is wired.

Jerry Glow

--- In WiringForDCC@..., "David" <frazeedg@g...> wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and have a couple of questions which I will
submit serparately.

Is it possible to bring the DCC track leads to one side of a DPDT
switch and DC to the other side so that if friends come over to
run and
bring their DC engines they can run with the flip of a few
switches?

Thanks

David
frazeedg@g...

Earl T. Hackett <hackete1@...>

Yes, it is possible, but I suggest you wait for a response from Wayne Roderick before getting out the soldering iron. If done incorrectly, you'll let the magic smoke out of a lot of electronic components.

I am new to the forum and have a coup-le of questions which I will
submit separately.

Is it possible to bring the DCC track leads to one side of a DPDT
switch and DC to the other side so that if friends come over to run and
bring their DC engines they can run with the flip of a few switches?

Thanks

David
frazeedg@...

http://www.WiringForDCC.com

Ho scale model train Ho model trains Model train n scale

Mark Gurries

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and have a couple of questions which I will
submit serparately.

Is it possible to bring the DCC track leads to one side of a DPDT
switch and DC to the other side so that if friends come over to run and
bring their DC engines they can run with the flip of a few switches?
Yes this can be done and is VERY often how many people experimented with
DCC.

In your case, it appears that you only have one DC throttle for the
layout. Hence using a simple DPDT Center-off switch to flip between DC
throttle and DCC would be an excellent solution.

People with DC layout and more than one DC throttle have done the same
thing by replace one of the DC throttles with a DCC system as a way to
experiment with the operation and feel of the DCC system. When the
switch to DCC, the set every track block switch to connect with the DCC
system and go.

If you have a reverse loop or wye, the manual control switch that worked
for DC will work just fine for DCC to.

I do not think the discussion about autoreverser is applicable here
since you appear to be converting a DC only layout. An Autoreverse is a
DCC accessory the automate and eliminate the electrical issues relating
to reverse loop operation from an ELECTRICAL PIONT OF VIEW. No need to
stop the train at the double insulated joints to check the polarity of
the switches. HOWEVER, You will STILL need to flip the track switch
itself.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Mark Gurries
Linear Technology
Power Supply & Battery Charger Applications Engineer/Manager
Model Railroad Club and NMRA DCC presentations are at:
http://www.siliconvalleylines.com/index.html
Audio Enthusiast (Love SAE equipment)
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/gurriesm/

Doug Stuard <dstuard@...>

Yup, classic two cab block control sytem. Just connect DCC in place
of one cab and switch the appropriate blocks over.

Doug Stuard
NVNTRAK

--- In WiringForDCC@..., Mark Gurries <gurriesm@c...>