Correct DCC Voltage

tlm1945@...

     What is the preferred or correct DCC voltage?

     I'm new to DCC. i started with the NCE Powercab and have recently upgraded to the SB5 booster. On the power supply for the booster there is a switch where you can select 12v or 13.6 volts. Because the power supply for the Powercab is listed as 13.6 volts output, I selected 13.6 for the SB5. I have 13.6 DCC volts on my track and the locomotives have been running fine.

     KATO states on their locomotive boxes to not use more that 12 volts. Is 13.6 a danger? I would agree that using 20 volts or so could be damaging, but is 1.6 volts too much?

     The reason I'm asking is that recently several of my locomotives [ KATO, Bachman and BLI] have started to run intermittently. The BLI's actually pulled the voltage down to 10.6 volts. Two new KATO F3 units that I recently installed two NCE decoders in have started to act up. They run and stop and run again.

     The reason for giving all of this information is it possible that the 13.6 volts has damaged the motors or circuit boards causing the abnormal operating?

     Thank you for any advice, comments, or suggestions. This is one of many questions that I have, but I have to start somewhere. There are no individuals or clubs in my area that I know of that can help me. Everything I have learned or done has been by manufacturers instruction, trial and error, or reliable persons on Utube.

    Thank you....

D B

Try cleaning the contacts (wheels)on your locos and the track.  Sounds like poor electric continuity.  Then check your feeder connections and rail connections if using those for electricity supply to track segments.
Bill D.
N&W Steam Only

On Jul 3, 2021, at 1:33 PM, tlm1945 via groups.io <tlm1945@...> wrote:

[...]

Robert J. Richter

That’s why many of us use “Keep alives” so that we can overcome bad conductivity i.e. “Dirty Track”

Robert J. Richter

283 Elm Street

North Reading, MA 01864

[...]

wirefordcc

The motor hooked up to a DCC decoder does not see the track voltage.  So if you have 13.6 for your track voltage, you are fine.

If too much voltage was a problem, you would have fried something and would not see stuttering.

Keep alives are good, but sooner or later, you will need to clean your track.  So now is a good time to start.

Stuttering or erratic operation can be caused by a corrupted DCC signal.  If you layout is large, you may find that twisting your track bus and installing RC filters at the bus ends can help.

Allan Gartner
Wiring for DCC

Glenn

The intermittent running on A locomotive a sign of dirty wheels. f it occurs on several locomotives in one area try cleaning the track and check wired connections and rail joints.

The voltage drop is an indication of a partial short. Check the locomotives for loose wiring that maybe contacting the opposite polarity. If this occurs with several locomotives there maybe a manufacturing flaw.

Check the wiring of the decoders, not just the motor wire. I had that problem in my lighting. The short caused the decoder to over heat and shut down. When it cooled, service was restored for a bit.

Glenn

[...]

Michael Munley

Zero chance you damaged the locomotives.  Start by cleaning your wheels on your locomotives.  I use clipper oil but Isopropyl alcohol will work too.  Put it on a paper towel and run the locomotives at full speed while you hold them over the paper towel.  Let the wheels spin.  This should clean off the wheels.  If that makes them run better, then turn to cleaning your track.  Many youtube videos exist on this subject.

[...]

thomasmclae

Several things can cause the start and stop.

Dirty track is the most obvious, especially if Loks stop at the same spot every time!

DC confusion detection is also common on some layouts. In CV29 (or main page in JMRI) turn off DC running.
Assume 4 pages of technical jargon, but the decoder is tricked into think it is running on DC, stops, then thinks it is DCC and starts. Starting happening at the club after we updated the DCC system.

CV11 timeout. Set this to a high number or 0. (Another page of jargon here) Decoder does not hear from DCC system within timeout limit, stops, hears from system, starts.
The purpose of this is to prevent runaways, which you could have if a booster lost signal from the main DCC system, and you loose control on that block.

The last common thing is having more than one throttle with the same Lok selected. They fight of which has control.

The above covers about 90% of issues on the club layout.

Thomas
DeSoto, TX

Keith Elrod

I use the Digikeijs system (command station & boosters). It does a fantastic job of keeping voltage regulated. No matter where I test on my layout I get 15.1 volts and all locos run with no problem.