Topics

Converting from DC to DCC with selectable power

taylor102195@...

Am "converting" DC to DCC with selectable power using a DPDT to switch between DC or DCC on a small 4'x8' table layout.  The guides i have read say do not use typical DC common rail wiring with DCC.  If i am isolating the DC from DCC source do i need to do anything special with the existing common rail wire given the small size of the layout?

Richard Sutcliffe

As long as you have only one system active at a time you will be fine.
That means the whole layout has DCC selected, or the whole layout is connected to DC.
Make sure the Master Switch is a DPDT Center Off, or is a “break before make” type.
Then the common rail is OK.

On Aug 4, 2020, at 6:41 PM, taylor102195@... wrote:

Am "converting" DC to DCC with selectable power using a DPDT to switch between DC or DCC on a small 4'x8' table layout.  The guides i have read say do not use typical DC common rail wiring with DCC.  If i am isolating the DC from DCC source do i need to do anything special with the existing common rail wire given the small size of the layout?

Greg Harter

Our club (Columbus Area Railroad Club) in Indiana, operates a large HO layout with both DC and DCC.  We have several mainlines, with crossovers, and each mainline can separately run either DC or DCC.  If two mainlines with a crossover are operating on the same power source, the crossovers with work.  If one mainline is on DC and the other on DCC, the crossovers will not operate.

If both mainlines are on the same power source, and the crossover is activated, and then one of the mainlines is switched to the other power source, the crossover (automatically) reverses back to mainline operation only.  We presented a clinic on this at the Indy Convention a couple of years ago.  We have never had a problem with this operation.

Greg Harter
Columbus Area Railroad Club

wirefordcc

The warning about not using common rail refers to those using multiple boosters and auto reversers.  Do you have any reversing sections?  Are you using multiple boosters?  If the answer is no to either of these, you are okay.

Allan Gartner
Wiring for DCC