Topics

Convert Bachmann G Shay to DCC

Tony Rentschler

Hi Al,

I’m converting an older G scale Bachmann DC two-truck, 36-ton Shay to DCC. I have the new power trucks, which isolate the motor from the track pickups. I’m not using any of the original electronics. I’m adding a speaker and TCS WOW501 steam sound decoder, and I’ll have front and rear headlights. No flickering firebox or cab light.

With the locomotive traveling from left to right, the trucks' wires are as follows (Bachmann does not follow any convention):

Front truck (coupler to the right and gears facing me)
On the right side:
- Orange = track Left
- Brown (or gray or green, I can’t tell) = M-

On the left:
- Red = track Right
- Black = M+

Rear Truck (coupler to the left, gears facing me)
On the right side:
- Orange = track Right
- Brown = M+

On the left:
- Red = track Left
- Black = M-

So even though the front truck travels “forward” and the rear truck in “reverse,” Bachman uses the same color wires on the same sides of each truck. However, Bachman reverses both the track pickups and motor leads in the rear truck. My question is, do I need to reverse both the track pickup wires AND the motor leads in the rear truck at my decoder? Or just the motor leads? I’ll use NMRA convention (red = track right+, black = track left-, orange = motor+, gray = motor-) when I attach my leads from both trucks to the decoder.

I’m stuck trying to puzzle this out.

Thanks for your help.

Tony

Tony Rentschler

Hi All,

[...]

Paul O

Tony, this is how I would approach the problem:

Using an ohmmeter,

Connect one lead to the front truck-right wheel; identify the corresponding wire (replace it with a RED wire if you want to).

Connect one lead to the rear truck-right wheel; identify the corresponding wire (replace it with a RED wire if you want to).

Then connect those two wires to the RED terminal of the WOW501.

Connect one lead to the front truck-left wheel; identify the corresponding wire (replace it with a BLACK wire if you want to).

Connect one lead to the rear truck-left wheel; identify the corresponding wire (replace it with a BLACK wire if you want to).

Then connect those two wires to the BLACK terminal of the WOW501.

Now, for the motor leads, connect the FRONT truck motor wires to the decoder; test if the wheels turn in the correct direction (swap wires if necessary).

Do the same with the REAR truck.

You can change the color of the motor wires (if you want to) once all the motor wires are identified.

Good luck,    Paul O

Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2018 8:19 AM
Subject: [WiringForDCC] Convert Bachmann G Shay to DCC

[...]

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Richard Gagnon

I have Bachmann locos and always use an ohm meter and follow the NMRA code. Easy.

Rich

On Thursday, January 11, 2018, 1:46 PM, 'Paul O' pomilian@... [WiringForDCC]

Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2018 8:19 AM

[...]

Thanks Paul and Rich. Can do!