Topics

Controlling power (0n/Off) in Staging Yard Tracks

Bob Miller

I have two 8-track staging yards on my layout, one at each of the point to point mainline of about 100 feet in length. Each staging yard is its own power block.

I would like to be able to turn the power on each staging track on and off as needed and am looking for suggestions on the best way to wire them.

george hohon3

I have basically have the same set-up and wanted to have the same control on each of the tracks.  I am very happy with my decision to use a multiple position rotary switch for this.  I have 12 tracks in two staging areas and use two 12 position switches for on/off power control in each area.  Why 12 position switches?  Each rotary switch actually controls 6 different tracks and I only use every other switch position for power.  That way, I'm only one click away from an "off" position.

One staging yard is low enough so I can actually see a power indicating LEDs place between the rails.  On the upper shelf, the power indicating LEDs were placed on a "control board" for viewing.  I have photos if you'd like to see them.

A side benefit of the rotary switches is less clutter on the fascia.  Two rotary switches verses 12 toggle switches.

George

From: w4dccqa@groups.io <w4dccqa@groups.io> on behalf of Bob Miller <cajonpass1995@...>
Sent: Sunday, August 4, 2019 4:21 PM
To: w4dccqa@groups.io <w4dccqa@groups.io>
Subject: [w4dccqa] Controlling power (0n/Off) in Staging Yard Tracks

I have two 8-track staging yards on my layout, one at each of the point to point mainline of about 100 feet in length. Each staging yard is its own power block.

I would like to be able to turn the power on each staging track on and off as needed and am looking for suggestions on the best way to wire them.