Topics

Connector/cabling ideas?

Dave Emery

(Not directly DCC, but a related wiring question.)

My switch machines (Tam Valley SwitchWrights) have screw-down connectors for power. What I’d like to do is screw wires into those that have some other kind of connector on the other end, so that I can (a) easily hook up wires for testing and then (b) cable those switch machines into a (5v) power distribution board. The product I’m using for 5v will accept 2 conductor Dupont cables, and I got a kit to make those. But I’d like some sort of connector, either a plug-and-socket connector (like those 3-wire connectors you can get for extending servo cables) or a sonnector that would be easy to screw into the benchwork (so the switch machine and the power supply wires would ‘meet’ at that connector.) I’ve been using Wago connectors for track wiring, the connectors are nice but I have not found a good way to mount those to the benchwork. (double-stick tape doesn’t have enough ‘hold-em’ to where I can easily work the Wago levers.)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

dave

wirefordcc

Dave,

I'll think about your problem, but if you like the Wago connectors, you may want to try different double-sided sticky foam tape.

I had some tape I had bought at Radio Shack years ago.  It wouldn't hold down my Frog Juicers and block detectors.

I looked on Amazon and found some heavy-duty outdoor black double-sided sticky foam tape.  It arrived yesterday.  Its only has been in place one day, but we are off to a good start.  The old stuff I had wouldn't last more than a few minutes.  Heck, the heavy-duty stuff stuck so good, I had to scrape it off my finger tips!  I think it was $6.95 for roll.

Other connectors you might try are stereo plugs and jacks.  They are 3 conductor and can be mounted in a panel.  They come 1/8" inch and 1/4" inch.  Also, there are DIN connectors.  These were popular during the CB craze in the '80's.  They also can mount in a panel.  If you want something square that can mount in a panel or glue to your benchwork, there are Cinch-Jones connectors and Molex connectors.

Allan Gartner
Wiring For DCC

Chaz Dawkins

In the UK Number plate tape from Halfords will stick like the proverbial. From tiles I had to use a paint scraper to remove it

[...]

That’s the stuff I’m using (red backer film that you peel off, right?) I’ve found I really have to sand and clean the surface to get anything like a good grab. Still, I’d rather have something with a physical connection (i.e. a screw) to hold the connector into place.

After talking to a couple of friends, I’m going to use 3 conductor Servo cables for the power runs, and just ignore the middle wire :-) They’re cheap and widely available.

dave

wirefordcc

Hi Dave,

Sounds like you found the same stuff I bought.

I'd prefer to screw things down as well, but not all DCC products come with a way to screw them down.

Do note that when you screw something down with multiple screws, don't snug it down tight.  You might warp the board and it could develop a hairline crack.  I leave a small amount of wiggle.

Allan Gartner
Wiring For DCC

Carl

Hi Gang:

I like plug connections so it is quick to change turnout motors. Put the sockets close to the motors.

Carl.