Combining Multiple Power Bus Wires

alynmar@...

I am building a new layout that will be in three sections, each with its own power bus.  What is the best way to combine/connect these wires together with the wires from my
NCE Power Pro?
Alan

David McBrayer

Alan,

My first suggestion would be to acquire (if you have not already done so) and install a multi-circuit DCC circuit breaker.  Yes, there will be a cost - paid one time.  A short circuit on the track using your Power Pro without a circuit breaker may be VERY costly.  Per the instructions, ndividually feed each power district from the circuit breaker assembly.  Check out the reliable sources: NCE, the Files section for this Group, and Wiring for DCC web site (W4DCC),  for a start.  I'm having a senior moment re the others--somebody help me out here.

--Dave McBrayer

--
Dave McBrayer
Castro Valley, CA

Wil Davis

I agree with the circuit breakers.  The ones I use automatically separate the buses as wires from the booster are daisy chained to the circuit breakers and each breaker has its own output to the bus.

Wil Davis

I agree with the circuit breakers.  The ones I use automatically separate the buses as wires from the booster are daisy chained to the circuit breakers and each breaker has its own output to the bus.

Daniel

Hi,
Digitrax PM42 may be used as circuit brakers?
Thank to all by all the help!
Daniel from Argentina

El 13 mar. 2021, a la(s) 12:03, Wil Davis <wdavis5069@...> escribió:

I agree with the circuit breakers.  The ones I use automatically separate the buses as wires from the booster are daisy chained to the circuit breakers and each breaker has its own output to the bus.

JoAnn Donaldson

I agree with the PM42. My layout is split into 4 zones. Each zone is powered by a different output. One other thing that no one has mention and that is you need to have isolated rail joiners between zones. No matter if you use a circuit breaker of a PM42, you can not connect the zones directly to each other.

JoAnn Donaldson

On Saturday, March 13, 2021, 9:44:21 AM CST, Daniel via groups.io <danielnapoli@...> wrote:

Hi,
Digitrax PM42 may be used as circuit brakers?
Thank to all by all the help!
Daniel from Argentina

El 13 mar. 2021, a la(s) 12:03, Wil Davis <wdavis5069@...> escribió:

I agree with the circuit breakers.  The ones I use automatically separate the buses as wires from the booster are daisy chained to the circuit breakers and each breaker has its own output to the bus.

Blair

If you intend to use a lot of locomotives with sound, you'll want to use PSX circuit breakers as they're solid state; I have four PM42 boards in operation, and I have to limit the number of locos in the staging yards, or isolate the locomotives, as on power up the PM42 sections detect the sound locomotives as short circuits, and they start cycle-tripping.  Since these are temporary staging yards, I'm just living with this for now(I just slide a slice of paper under the wheels of some of the locos), but ultimately I'll have to do something to permanently reduce the power-on transient, or replace the PM42 units.

Blair

On 2021-03-13 13:13, JoAnn Donaldson via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Thank you very much Joann and Blair!
Daniel

On 2021-03-13 13:13, JoAnn Donaldson via groups.io wrote:
I agree with the PM42. My layout is split into 4 zones. Each zone is powered by a different output. One other thing that no one has mention and that is you need to have isolated rail joiners between zones. No matter if you use a circuit breaker of a PM42, you can not connect the zones directly to each other.

JoAnn Donaldson

On Saturday, March 13, 2021, 9:44:21 AM CST, Daniel via groups.io <danielnapoli@...> wrote:

Hi,
Digitrax PM42 may be used as circuit brakers?
Thank to all by all the help!
Daniel from Argentina

El 13 mar. 2021, a la(s) 12:03, Wil Davis <wdavis5069@...> escribió:

I agree with the circuit breakers.  The ones I use automatically separate the buses as wires from the booster are daisy chained to the circuit breakers and each breaker has its own output to the bus.

Don DeSandre

Tam valley makes in in rush current limiter that may help on power up, keeps your breakers from tripping!