Topics

Changes to Website

wirefordcc

All,

In preparation for adding a blog, I've decided to do some updating to my website and using new software to do that.  I'm hoping that this will all go smoothly.  But who am I fooling, software changes never go smoothly!  So in anticipation of hitting a few bumps along the way, please, just hang in there.  There is no need to write me as I will probably be aware of anything that doesn't go right.  When I am done and I think that all is well, I'll make another announcement.

Thank you

Allan Gartner
Wiring For DCC

wirefordcc

All,

I’m not planning to give you all a blow-by-blow of what is happening in this transition, but you need this one.

My website is back up.  I spent some time checking to see if everything is there.  It seems to be.  Some lightning came into the area during the uploading process, so if you find any files that were corrupted during the upload, email me (not this forum) at:  bigboy@... and let me know.  I’ll upload it again.

Note that if you don’t specify a file in my website (meaning you entered WiringForDCC.com and not WiringForDCC.com/index.htm) your browser will default to the new WordPress page.  I probably can’t change that and long term, I probably wouldn’t want to.  So DO ENTER   WiringForDCC.com/index.htm.  Any of my other pages you have bookmarked should work as is since they do not rely on the Internet’s defaulting scheme.  If you don’t have WiringFroDCC.com/index.htm bookmarked, please do so for now.

For my next trick, I’ll figure out how to at least put a message in the new WordPress page that contains the above and also, hopefully, a link to make it easy.  I don’t plan to announce those triumphs unless something else happens that you need to know.

I asked a lot of questions before I went with WordPress.  I’m now afraid some of the answers I got were not completely accurate.  So, the migration process may be much more painful for me then I was led to believe.

This day needed to come at some point.  The software I had been using was 14 or so years old.  The company that made it was acquired a long time ago and the software hasn’t been supported in ages.  It definitely is no longer state of the art.  In the end, I’m hoping the webpage is a little prettier and you will enjoy using it. 

Thank you

Allan Gartner  WiringForDCC.com 

wirefordcc

All,

Corrected spelling error in link below.

Allan

Sent: Friday, July 06, 2018 7:30 PM
To: 'w4dccqa@groups.io' <w4dccqa@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [w4dccqa] Changes to Website

All,

I’m not planning to give you all a blow-by-blow of what is happening in this transition, but you need this one.

My website is back up.  I spent some time checking to see if everything is there.  It seems to be.  Some lightning came into the area during the uploading process, so if you find any files that were corrupted during the upload, email me (not this forum) at:  bigboy@... and let me know.  I’ll upload it again.

Note that if you don’t specify a file in my website (meaning you entered WiringForDCC.com and not WiringForDCC.com/index.htm) your browser will default to the new WordPress page.  I probably can’t change that and long term, I probably wouldn’t want to.  So DO ENTER   WiringForDCC.com/index.htm.  Any of my other pages you have bookmarked should work as is since they do not rely on the Internet’s defaulting scheme.  If you don’t have WiringForDCC.com/index.htm bookmarked, please do so for now.

For my next trick, I’ll figure out how to at least put a message in the new WordPress page that contains the above and also, hopefully, a link to make it easy.  I don’t plan to announce those triumphs unless something else happens that you need to know.

I asked a lot of questions before I went with WordPress.  I’m now afraid some of the answers I got were not completely accurate.  So, the migration process may be much more painful for me then I was led to believe.

This day needed to come at some point.  The software I had been using was 14 or so years old.  The company that made it was acquired a long time ago and the software hasn’t been supported in ages.  It definitely is no longer state of the art.  In the end, I’m hoping the webpage is a little prettier and you will enjoy using it. 

Thank you

Allan Gartner  WiringForDCC.com 

Willie de Kort

Hi Allan,
Just visited the website.
Can get a certificate for the website?
Now google is 'complaining' it is not safe. And https:// will not open the site.
regards,
Willie

Jan Boen

Hi Willie,

While SSL certs on web site become almost common these days there is no good reason to "protect" the web site traffic with SSL if there is nothing worth protecting.

If you don't have to login to get access to restricted information or you don't exchange personal or banking data then just plain http is still 100% OK regardless of what browsers say.

Just my 2 cents worth based on too many years of IT experience,

Jan

On 08-Jul-18 18:50, Willie de Kort wrote:
Hi Allan,
Just visited the website.
Can get a certificate for the website?
Now google is 'complaining' it is not safe. And https:// will not open the site.
regards,
Willie