From: iseegeardown
To: WiringForDCC@...
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2006 10:33 AM
Subject: [WiringForDCC] can shorts still occur after DCC friendly mods?

I'm just about to modify my Peco N-scale turnouts for DCC friendliness. It makes sense to me
that each point and closure rail should be the same polarity as their respective stock rails-
and that this will prevent short circuits between those rails. However, doesn't the same
problem exsist at the required cut where the closure rails meet the beginning of the frog-
(see the pictures under 'suggestion #2-12b' [Peco link] on the wiring for DCC site).
It seems that a DPDT switch could be used to power route the frog -and- cut power to the
unused point/closure rails.
Has anybody tried this and is it necessary?

http://www.WiringForDCC.com

Ho scale model train Ho model trains Model train n scale

Vollrath, Don <dvollrath@...>

This could be a good solution for turnouts that have the gaps between closure rails and frog too close to the frog and let oversized wheels inadvertently touch both closure rails. Not sure if this applies to your Peco N scale switches or your engines or rolling stock.

But yes, it can be done w/ 1 half of a DPDT sw to determine frog polarity and the 2nd side to select which set of point & closure rails will also be powered at that same polarity. The other, open point side rails then become un-powered and immune to shorts...even as they open.