Topics

Book on DCC wiring

monty cunningham

Sort of new to DCC.  Older and retired and building for the first time a larger layout in spare bedroom.  Have benchwork half done.  Maybe I should think about wiring.  My only experience with DCC is a 5' X 4' layout using NCE with simple wiring.
My question being what is a good book on wiring for someone with limited experience.
Thanks
Monty

Rex

Monty,

I am in a similar situation. I will comment on two books I purchased for self education, both from Model Railroader -

Basic DCC Wiring for Your Model Railroad and DCC Projects & Applications, both by Mike Polsgrove. Both informative and neither left me feeling comfortable.

I also downloaded installation and instruction manuals from several different manufacturer, also helpful but not completely useful.

Asking local model railroaders in groups started more "warm discussion" between the individuals than helpful answers.

If you find a good book, post the info.

Thanks, Rex

On November 3, 2019 at 9:04 AM monty cunningham <lamont7777@...> wrote:

Sort of new to DCC.  Older and retired and building for the first time a larger layout in spare bedroom.  Have benchwork half done.  Maybe I should think about wiring.  My only experience with DCC is a 5' X 4' layout using NCE with simple wiring.
My question being what is a good book on wiring for someone with limited experience.
Thanks
Monty

Thanks,
Rex

Richard Sutcliffe

Our list owner has an excellent website.
http://www.WiringForDCC.com

Larry Moray

Also great info on YouTube and Larry Puckett’s numerous DCC Wiring books through Kalmbach Media

Larry J Moray, DDS, MS
President, The Happy Tooth Dental Group
919.259.2280

Statement of Confidentiality

The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are confidential and are intended solely for addressee. The information may also be legally privileged. This transmission is sent in trust, for the sole purpose of delivery to the intended recipient. If you have received this transmission in error, any use, reproduction or dissemination of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail or phone and delete this message and its attachments, if any.

On Nov 3, 2019, at 4:09 PM, Rex <raschildhouse@...> wrote:

[...]

vincent marino

Best place to educate yourself is to search DCC wiring on you tube. So much good information there. Just decide what you think the best way to approach it for your capability and strengths. Come to the group with questions once you familiarize yourself with the different methods. Since your benchwork is started I would definitely get your design three steps ahead of where you are right now. Otherwise you'll be dismantling it. I speak from experience. Good luck

On Sun, Nov 3, 2019, 1:40 PM monty cunningham <lamont7777@...> wrote:
Sort of new to DCC.  Older and retired and building for the first time a larger layout in spare bedroom.  Have benchwork half done.  Maybe I should think about wiring.  My only experience with DCC is a 5' X 4' layout using NCE with simple wiring.
My question being what is a good book on wiring for someone with limited experience.
Thanks
Monty

Jerry Michels

I have to nominate Allan's website as the best source.  It is easy to read and use his tips and techniques.  I would be nice if it was a PDF for those of us who still like a good book, but it is unequivocally the best source for DCC beginners and advanced users.

Jerry Michels

wirefordcc

Thanks for the kind words, Jerry!

I had offered the website as PDF files, but the Supreme Court's decision that I would have to collect sales tax for every state that I shipped to made continuing this service impractical.

All is not lost. I do intend to create an eBook that I would sell through services that currently offer eBooks (like Amazon) and let them collect the sales tax.  I just can't say when I will complete this.  My website is about 600 printed pages - more than any current DCC book that I am aware of - so I have a huge project ahead of me.

I have software that will create PDF's with hyperlinks.  So you will have the advantage of having my eBook on your computer and being able to jump around the book like you can do on a web page.

Stay tuned!  I'll announce the book here on the Q&A forum.  Stay tuned, just don't hold your breath waiting! :)