Topics

BLI Blue Line 2-10-4-Can Keep Alive be added to the blue-line sound system?

George Galyon

I have a BLI blueline 2-10-4.  I want to put a Keep Alive on the sound decoder.  I have one on the motor decoder..it works very well.  Has anyone tried to do this or does anyone know how to wire in a KA (from TCS).  The big electrolytic cap that BLI has on their sound decoder is not good enough..thanks in advance

Steve Harsh

I do not know if this will help address your question.  I recently installed a TCS KA-1 in a BLI EMD-NW2 switcher.  I posted details on how I did this on the following website (go to bottom of the discussion):

http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/744/t/260416.aspx

Steve

George Galyon

Thanks Steve for the response.  I am familiar with the optus website...it doesn't show the particular KA installation I need for the BLI blue line 2-10-4 sound decoder.  I am currently holed up (Corona) away from my home (and workshop) but I will post a photo of my installation problem when I return.  The Blue Line 2-10-4 has two decoders..one is sound and the other is the motor.  The motor KA install was easy (plug and play).  The sound circuitry has a big electrolytic cap on it already which is supposed to "hold up" the sound system but it's not nearly adequate...so I tried to hook up a KA in parallel with the big cap...no go.  The KA has additional components on it (cap/resistor) whereas the big electrolytic cap does not..  So I will have to figure out the sound board wiring I guess.  Thanks again.

Craig Zeni

For the effort of figuring out the sound board, I'd be inclined to gut the thing and fit a new sound decoder that natively supports a keep alive. It will run better and will sound much better with current sound technology.

Craig Zeni
Cary NC